cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dikkker
Paper Tape
Views: 4,647
Message 1 of 6

Installing Windows XP on a G580 - how???

Hi all,

I just pruchased a Lenovo G580 as a replacement for my mom's old PC. She's 77 years old and does not wnat to learn a new OS (quite understable). So I got the G580 with FreeDOS only and wanted to install Windows XP on it.

First try

I used my installation CD (Windows XP Pro  SP2 32 Bit). The installer started to examine the hardware but the very moment it says "starting up Windows" I'll get the Blue Screen of Death...

Second try

I did a clean install of XP on a desktop PC, installed SP3 and all updates, plus the Lenovo drivers from this homepage for Chipset, video card, etc. etc. Then I tried to clone the whole thing with Clonezilla.

Guess what? - Didn't work either (I guess because the installed Lenovo drivers weren't activated)...

So - what is needed to get it going? What Windows XP version is necessary for the G580?

Thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,643
Message 2 of 6

Re: Installing Windows XP on a G580 - how???

Hello and welcome,

Try going to BIOS and setting the SATA mode to compatibility.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Dikkker
Paper Tape
Views: 4,640
Message 3 of 6

I just found this hint in another post (from 2009), tried and worked perfectly.

Thanks!

Dikkker
Paper Tape
Views: 4,549
Message 4 of 6

So - here I am again.

What worked yesterday in a test scenario with a freshly installed Windows XP Pro SP3 32 Bit does not work now with the "real" machine to clone (which is Windows XP Home 32 Bit SP3).

I did make sure the SATA mode is set to "Compatible" in the BIOS.

But here again the Lenovo gives me a Blue Screen after showing the Windows Logo briefly. The original machine runs just fine...

I used Clonezilla disk to disk mode and I get the same result, when I try to boot from the USB drive.

Any other ideas what switches to tick for a success???

Thanks

COMIZELU
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,426
Message 5 of 6

hi 

have you managed to instal the xp on your lenovo?

i have the same issue with ideapad 100

can you help me please

thank you

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,420
Message 6 of 6

Cloning the hard driver from one machine to another will not work unless both are exactly the same, using the same hardware right down to memory and chipsets.

To get XP loaded, use the SP3 version, load all the drivers for XP, then reboot and sign in.  Once signed in, copy only the documents, music and photos and move them from the old computer to the new computer over network connections.  Break the file transfers down to a few files at a time to make sure all move across without error.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors