Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frawgste
Paper Tape
Views: 2,139
Message 1 of 10

Installing a new Solid State Hard Drive

I recently purchased a Lenovo B575. I'm totally satisfied with the system, however, I would like to swap out the original hard drive for a smaller, faster, 32 GB SSD.

My plan is to host the OS and frequently used software on the SSD, and everything else (seldom used software, documents, media, etc.) on an external HD.

As far as I can tell, there is no real simple way to do this...which is why I'm posting here.

I've considered using a HD backup utility to copy (sector for sector) the data from the existing drive to the new drive, but due to the presence of a hidden partition, the size bloats to over the 32 BG capacity of the SSD drive I have.

I considered installing the new hard drive, and trying to restore my system using restore DVDs created by the OneKey software provided with the system, but it appears that the hidden partition on the original drive plays a role in the restoration of the machine.

I have also considered using a retail WIndow 7 Premium disc to do a fresh Windows install, but I can think of a couple of key problems that may arise...

1. An OEM product key may not be valid for a retail version of Windows

2. I may have problems reinstalling all the necessary drivers for the B575's hardware

What is the easiest way to install a OEM factory clean and original copy of Windows 7 Premium onto a new 32 GB hard drive? In other words...I'd like for windows on my NEW drive to boot up as it did the first time I booted up my computer.

Brief System Specs:

Lenovo B575

250GB HD

8 GB RAM (Came with 4 GB, upgraded to 8 GB)

AMD E-350 Processor 1.6 GHz

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit

Thanks in advance for any help.

pagroundhog
802.11n
Views: 2,130
Message 2 of 10

Re: Installing a new Solid State Hard Drive

Hello,

I really think that a 32gb hard drive (with about 27gbs of usable space) will be too small for the long run so I would strongly recommend that you stay with what you have and go buy that external drive.

I also have a B575 just like yours and a month after I did a clean OEM install, my hard drive usage was a whopping 30gbs!

BTW, have you checked what your hard drive usage is currently (before starting this project)?

Much of my 30gbs of usage was due to leftover junk from the SP1 install, a multitude of restore points and a whopping page file.

However, after a thorough cleaning of the disk, adjustments (not recommended) to the System Restore feature, and (not recommended) a huge adjustment to the page file size, I was able to get my hard drive usage down to 14gbs.

Good luck in whatever decision you may make!

frawgste
Paper Tape
Views: 2,116
Message 3 of 10

If I were to migrate all data onto the new drive using HD cloning software, my usage would be right at about 17 gigs (if my memory serves me correctly). Before migrating, I would restore to factory default and remove any unnecessary preinstalled software.

17 gigs would be usage of ONLY the C drive. I'm excluding the backup data on the D drive, and the data on the hidden partition.

Highlighted
pagroundhog
802.11n
Views: 2,108
Message 4 of 10

Hmm .. Sounds like you might have enough room (at least for the short-term) and kudos to Lenovo for being able to use less hard disk space (with all their programs included) than I did on a fresh OEM install (with only a few small programs installed thereafter).

Good luck!

pagroundhog
802.11n
Views: 2,105
Message 5 of 10

I see you edited your last message and that changes my last response because the hard disk space used in those other partitions must be accounted for if you intend to clone your entire hard drive. So, now I will revert to my original warning about 32gbs possibly not being adequate. I think you had better find out the total disk usage for all partitions before you proceed any further.

Retired Guru
Views: 2,082
Message 6 of 10

Lenovo recovery software does not seem to work if you
change partition sizes, from all I have read.

Also the recovery disks you create would most likely not
work for a smaller hard drive than the original.

What cloning software will you use?

Most will also not work with smaller disk than the disk you image.

A "OEM System Builder" windows disk from Newegg
should work with the coa on the computer, or with the
oem key in the current install. I use ABR beta for activation
backup and restore, or get Magic Jellybean keyfinder to
get the oem key.

orion9727
Token Ring
Views: 2,056
Message 7 of 10

i put a microcenter sandforce in mine.
here how i install win 7.
i get a 4gb usb key NO OTHERSIZE!
i download the windows 7 usb tool that will convert the disk into a iso and make the keybootable.
read the directions i normally just drag and drop now but i been doing the ms beta for years so do it the said way.
windows installs from a usb key to a ssd in 15 mins.
press the F12 button to select the key and boot from it.
the B575 has two disk options.
one is the standard 2.5 notebook drive.
there also a msata port open next to the tiny wireless card.
intel/ocz a few others make a 32 gb model that used in the rapid boot.
there running cheap too sata 2 speed not as fast as full size drives but close.
stay away from sandforce controllers-they power hungry there for a desktop.
a M4 is a great ssd as for the new samsung 830 it super light power wise HOWEVER i cant get mine to go over 255 read speed.
it comes with norton and ssd software that really good.
buy the desktop model it will install fine.
so if you want to clone or copy then the samsung 830 64gb model is a great buy at $140.this is a great notebook ssd but cpu is a little high on some disk tests but is one of the best drives made all samsung parts.
i felt the sandforce adata clone was a bit twitchy and battery life was not good even with brazos tweeker undervolting it.
the samsung also dose all the tweeks as well as very advanced ones.go the msata route and you get to keep the platter drive.and do the rapid boot but who needs a platter drive in a notebook with usb drive kits for 10 bucks and esata ports.
plus a rom drive.
orion9727
Token Ring
Views: 2,055
Message 8 of 10

to drag and drop from the disk you need to make the key bootable first.
one method is the HP tool.
it found on hp site that makes any usb bootable even a usb back up drive BUT for a install you cant use over 4 gig bios reasons and under 4 wont fit a win 7 image.
there also the old way of diskpart commands and format it but it takes time however one it done you keep it and drag and drop.
i have both x86 and x64 oem discs.
so i can reload any win 7 for any client after i change the hard drive or format after virus.
windows dont like when you use a os with one KEY and enter the one from the laptop.
just enter the key a few times and it will work.
also you can toss a x64 over any x86 image even if it dose not meet the requirements such as a 1 gig atom netbook.
install the x86 and then install x64 and windows wont give you a hassle about 1 gig of ram in a atom netbook.
ps so you know the rom drive might be sata but it works on ata 66 speed so it mega slow.
usb 2 keys run 15 mins max.
as for 8 gig of ram a complete waste as it slows the boot speed.
4 is more then enough for any notebook most of all based on a brazos chip.
brazos also is single mode so there no benfit to 2 ram slots that why brazos work better with higher speed say like 1333 or 1600 where intel dont make any difference at all over 1066.
the chip in B575 is a fine samsung 1333 running at 1066 so you might run it fine speed with a cheaper chip so i would leave well enough alone and look at the msata for rapid boot or buy a non sandforce 64gb drive.
pagroundhog
802.11n
Views: 2,036
Message 9 of 10

Hello original poster,

Did you ever get the answer you were looking for and/or get your issue resolved?

Please let us know.

Your feedback is important to the community

orion9727
Token Ring
Views: 2,027
Message 10 of 10

really think that a 32gb hard drive (with about 27gbs of usable space) will be too small for the long run so I would strongly recommend that you stay with what you have and go buy that external drive.

not really true... i done alot win 7 on eeepc with the same ssd that came in them.
ieven turn off file compression =
less space.
win 7 x64 is kinda large somewhere around 16 with it page file and 20 if you have restore and hiber on.
however those two items normally dont belong on a ssd.
x86 will fit quite well on even a 12gb.
a 32 ssd is what most people put win7 on when ssd first came out as 64 and 120 were far to expensive at the time a 120 option was 500 dollers.
i never seen a win 7 x64 install hit anything over 24 i dont know where you get 30.
the service packs can be cleaned up after -disk clean and items you dont use.
note : i am talking about a full use install complete with flash/reader/graphic driver full/yahoo and few other software items we use and a security suite.
that dont mean you can add 40 hd movies and 2000 tunes as well as 7 zombie games.
the great thing about the B575 is that neat msata port you can make use of for the os and still keep all that stuff.
i really do belive a back up usb drive is the way to go and there even some ssd made with a musb port that you can secure as well and just remeber TSA dose grab laptops from time to time and last thing you want is yours to be grabed with whole lot of things from file sharing with DRM violations on it.
in your home your pc might have a expection of privicy but outside the home it fair game.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals