cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chas_alpha
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,409
Message 1 of 3

Is Lenovo AC Wireless Network Card backwards compatible?

I am planning to purchase a new Lenovo G50-80 Laptop #80E501JFUS. This machine comes with a "Lenovo AC Wireless" Network Card. I presume that means that this machine talks state-of-the-art 11ac Wi-Fi network protocols. My question is, will 80E501JFUS work properly on an older Wi-Fi network that is based on the older 11b/g/n Wi-Fi network protocols such as one might find in a public library, ie, is the 80E501JFUS with its state-of-the-art 11ac Wi-Fi networking capability automatically & transparently backwards compatible with older 11b/g/n-based Wi-Fi networks?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 4,383
Message 2 of 3

Re: Is Lenovo AC Wireless Network Card backwards compatible?

hi chas_alpha

Welcome to the Forums.

Looking at the G50-80 (80E501JFUS) spare parts, this system uses a Broadcom 43162 Wireless Card.

- Link to picture

This type of card is indeed backwards compatible with 802.11/b/g/n wireless networking specifications (such as the WI-Fi access points in public library). 

As for making it to work on  802.11/b/g/n, you may need to look under the Device Manager > Wrieless card properties > Advanced Tab and toggle the band preference and the wireless mode.

- Sample image

Article:

Advanced Wireless Adapter Driver Settings

More info on the card below:

Broadcom BCM43162

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

chas_alpha
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,377
Message 3 of 3

Re: Is Lenovo AC Wireless Network Card backwards compatible?

Thank you for your excellent & timely reply! I gave it a kudos and an accepted solution. The Lenovo AC wireless network card looks like a fine and versatile Wi-Fi connectivity solution, and I look forward to working with it on various different generations of Wi-Fi networks.
Regards,
chas

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors