Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Felico
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,453
Message 1 of 13

LENOVO G50-45 wifi upgrade to intel 8265 is impossible. i want a modded bios

I have a LENOVO G50-45 and i want upgrade it with an Intel 8265 wifi card!
But if a card is not in "whitelist" bios will not boot my laptop!

i want a modded bios without these limitations and more optons enabled as cpu-multiplier!

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,401
Message 2 of 13

Re: LENOVO G50-45 wifi upgrade to intel 8265 is impossible. i want a modded bios

There is no official way to obtain a modified BIOS on this site, nor will Lenovo sponsor one... If you choose to use a "third party" to obtain and install a modified BIOS you will not have Lenovo Support options afterwards. Using a modified BIOS is extreemly risky and can cause more problems than solutions, it is far easier and safer to use a USB dongle or puck to update the wireless in your machine.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Felico
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,393
Message 3 of 13

Re: LENOVO G50-45 wifi upgrade to intel 8265 is impossible. i want a modded bios

i know that LENOVO (and some others eastern producers) discard bios-firmware support on pc-desktop-laptop-smartphone-etc etc etc after some months.

i know that i bought a laptop, now out of warranty, that i can't use as i want because there is an "bios whitelist" with a list of "old hardware".

i know that if warranty is expired i can upgrade internal hardware of my laptop without consequences.

And so why i can't upgrade my laptop as i want?

i bought a Lenovo laptop to replace a broken ACER one but perhaps i made a mistake?

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,386
Message 4 of 13

@Felico wrote:

i know that LENOVO (and some others eastern producers) discard bios-firmware support on pc-desktop-laptop-smartphone-etc etc etc after some months.

i know that i bought a laptop, now out of warranty, that i can't use as i want because there is an "bios whitelist" with a list of "old hardware".

i know that if warranty is expired i can upgrade internal hardware of my laptop without consequences.

And so why i can't upgrade my laptop as i want?

i bought a Lenovo laptop to replace a broken ACER one but perhaps i made a mistake?

The Whitelist is a measure employed by manufactures (Acer, HP, Dell etc...) is meant to ensure proper operation of the notebook, not to keep someone from using it the way they want to.  Essentially it prevents one from using parts that are not compatible or would cause the system to be unstable or problematic.

If you are out of warranty you can certainly try to get a third party to "hack" your existing BIOS but you stand a very good chance of installing a part that would cause the notebook to be non-operational, or unusable.  At that point it would be nothing more than a paperweight.

The mistake you apparently have made would be to purchase a notebook without researching options beforehand.  Much better to fully research options ahead of purchase and choose a model that meets your needs  than try to "make it work" afterwards.

At this point, a USB puck or dongle makes much more sense than to try and obtain a BIOS that may or may not work as intended.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
nomspls12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,375
Message 5 of 13

Before the release of a new laptop model to the USA market, American FCC agency tests that, while laptop is using a wireless card, laptop's electromagnetic emissions are within a certain range and below the certain limit ; then FCC allows that specific hardware combination of laptop and wireless card to be sold. Some manufacturers also introduce an extra measure - whitelist - to block the untested wireless cards ; they are doing it to please the FCC and to make sure that - if the regulations will become more strict (if whitelists will become mandatory), their laptops will comply with them. Also, laptop's manufacturers love making extra money on selling the replacement parts - "certified wireless cards" usually cost 2x - 3x times more than their honest market price.

Contrary to what some people are saying, using a not-endorsed-by-manufacturer wireless card will never cause a hardware or compatibility problem, as long as the card itself is not defective. That is because any laptop's wireless card is PCI Express device and complies with PCI Express standards. Some enthusiasts are even inserting other devices to wireless card slot, and they are working fine. Just need to check that a form-factor (shape) of that card - could be fit inside your laptop.

There are skilled people who either remove the "whitelist" completely, or - if it is too hard - just replace a device id of "supported card" with a device id of not-endorsed-card so it would pass a check. If you trust these people - e.g. community of a bios-mods website - you could install their BIOS to your computer ; but of course Lenovo does not support the unofficial BIOS modifications, and if you'll get your laptop bricked just because someone didn't remove a whitelist carefully enough (accidentally damaged some other parts of BIOS image in the process), you will either have to repair your computer by yourself (e.g. restore the original BIOS image using a USB programmer device, such as CH341A,  and SOIC-8 test clip), - or pay someone else to fix it

SeniorGuru
Views: 2,357
Message 6 of 13

Not all wireless (WiFi) cards are made equally - some work less dependably than others, and some not at all.  There are many options for supporting different types of WiFi cards, some cary bluetooth and support AC standards and some do not.  The notebook's chipset may not support certian equipment, especially the "made for windows" types.  If the hardware is OS independant you have a better than average chance of making it work.

The standards you reference are related to the "connector" not the card's make up of parts, nor is the FCC going to enforce "standards" for WiFi equipment design beyond compliance  for RF output. Each manufacture has proprietary designs for the cards, no two are the same beyond how they connect or plug into a motherboard.

CB

Felico
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,316
Message 7 of 13

in past times i bought Acer laptop where i can upgrade ram, disk drive and PCI-express or M.2 card becuase they use standard connector as on levovo hardware.

sure, i know i must choose a compatible card but i can't be limited to some old cards (written in "bios whitelist") useless today!

perhaps i must use only broadcom or qualcomm or intel but if i bought a laptop i don't understand why i can't have upgrade on wifi card on standard connector!
Not all chinese or taiwanese hardware producers have "whitelist", perhaps i make an error choosing Lenovo.

Highlighted
SeniorGuru
Views: 2,308
Message 8 of 13

Usually there are whitelists on every notebook, some are just "broader" than others...

It is meant to keep the notebook in a stable, predictable configuration known to work as advertised, not to keep end users from upgrading... just from using upgrade parts that may be problematic with the "as built" device.

A usb WiFi puck or dongle is not that expensive, bypasses the whitelist and is easily upgraded. I would state that it is the best, easiest upgrade you could possible put in play.

CB

nomspls12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,265
Message 9 of 13

@CBHedricks wrote:
Usually there are whitelists on every notebook, some are just "broader" than others...

It is meant to keep the notebook in a stable, predictable configuration known to work as advertised, not to keep end users from upgrading... just from using upgrade parts that may be problematic with the "as built" device.

A usb WiFi puck or dongle is not that expensive, bypasses the whitelist and is easily upgraded. I would state that it is the best, easiest upgrade you could possible put in play.

CB

Two of my friends work at unofficial all-kinds-of-services computer repair shop, and have replaced official BIOS with modded BIOS (whitelist removed) at dozens of customer's laptops. Not even one client complained that a new modded BIOS or unofficial wireless card brought him any kind of software/hardware incompatibility. Everyone is happy so far! I am personally using an "unsupported" (not-endorsed-by-Lenovo) Atheros wireless card, it works perfectly, never glitches, and is in thousand times better than this preinstalled Broadcom so-called "card" that Lenovo decided to put just because it was cheaper than Atheros by 2 dollars, not because it "has a better compatibility"

nomspls12
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,263
Message 10 of 13

@Felico wrote:

in past times i bought Acer laptop where i can upgrade ram, disk drive and PCI-express or M.2 card becuase they use standard connector as on levovo hardware.

sure, i know i must choose a compatible card but i can't be limited to some old cards (written in "bios whitelist") useless today!

perhaps i must use only broadcom or qualcomm or intel but if i bought a laptop i don't understand why i can't have upgrade on wifi card on standard connector!
Not all chinese or taiwanese hardware producers have "whitelist", perhaps i make an error choosing Lenovo.

Lenovo is a great hardware, only their whitelisting decision is stupid! You haven't made a mistake and don't lose your hope, friend... Please research if someone has made an unofficial modded BIOS for your model with a whitelist removed, or research a subject for a few hours and then you would be able to remove a whitelist by yourself. Lenovo will not support your quest, but if its successful you would have a much better customer experience with your Lenovo hardware

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors