12-08-2010

Australia

9 Signins

120 Page Views

• Views: 120
  • Message 1 of 15

LENOVO G550 DC-T4500 Tragedy, Internal crack on LCD screen

2010-12-14, 6:14 AM

Well i am new to this forum and when i was looking for ‘Lenovo customer service’ on Google, i realised that there are many people in the same boat as me.

Well i never imagined this to happen to me, but the fact is it has happened. I purchased a new ‘LENOVO G550 DC-T4500’ which is a new laptop by Lenovo at a very low price. Well i had a low budget and was thinking of getting a small netbook, but then I saw this Lenovo ad at center.com and went and purchased it from them on 11th November 2010. I got the laptop in my office and kept it there for a week. Finally after 7 days i took it home. I did not use it instantly because I had to setup many things like Microsoft office etc and just didn’t get the time to do that. Finally after 7 days I opened it up and installed Microsoft office. I used it for like 2 hours. The next day i opened the laptop and then was trying to set the internet, and after an hour the laptop screen went blank. I did not use it even for 4 complete hours. I gave it back to center.com and they asked me whether i dropped it. Well the fact is i never dropped it. It was used just like for four hours in total. I don’t have kids or pets in my house. I stay with my husband and we both are old enough to handle laptops. Well this crack was not an external crack on the screen but an internal crack on the LCD screen. Now isn’t that weird that there is no crack on the laptop but a cack developed on the LCD screen and they say that it has been dropped. Now i don’t know how to prove that i did not drop the laptop, but the real truth is that i never did anything to the laptop for it to develop that internal crack. When i returned it back to center.com i returned it with complete packing because all this time when the laptop was with me it was packed and i opened it up after 7 days and used it for 4 just hours in total.

Center.com told us that Lenovo has rejected the warranty in this case and gave me a number for lenovo’s customer service department. I called up lenovo’s customer service department for like 4 days. Each time a different person answered the phone and gave me different answers. Some said we are looking into it. Finally they made me go crazy then finally one person called and said the same thing, he is looking into the case. After few days he sent an email and said that they can’t help and the crack cannot develop on its own and if I have to get it repaired I have to pay like almost the same amount as that of the laptop. This is ridiculous, absolutely disappointing.

Well even if Lenovo does not help me i would like to tell all those people who are reading this, buying a laptop from Lenovo and then going through all the pain for no mistake of yours is the worst thing that can ever happen to a customer. And no matter how big this company is, but the fact is that they are not worth it. I pray this does not happen to anyone else. I felt cheated and hurt. I will never ever recommend anyone to buy a laptop from Lenovo.

Options

1991 Posts

05-17-2008

USA

4725 Signins

59404 Page Views

• Views: 59404
  • Message 2 of 15

Re: LENOVO G550 DC-T4500 Tragedy, Internal crack on LCD screen

2010-12-14, 8:56 AM

first let me say that I am in know way implying that you broke your screen but you can crack the LCD screen without causing damage to the case you can set something on it and cause a pressure crack pressure from your fingers can crack it  as for internal external it appears to be internal because the clear plastic on the outside does not crack like glass there had to be some kind of force to crack the screen they just don't brake they go out from time to time as in no video but not crack

Did a member help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Regards,
GMAC
Options

2143 Posts

07-14-2009

USA

4807 Signins

93056 Page Views

• Views: 93056
  • Message 3 of 15

2010-12-14, 12:58 PM
Who is "center.com" that you purchased it from?
Options

8 Posts

12-08-2010

Australia

9 Signins

120 Page Views

• Message 4 of 15

2010-12-15, 23:52 PM

Center.com is a physical store, who also have an online presence. Below is the website http://www.centrecom.com.au/catalog/default.php

Options

8 Posts

12-08-2010

Australia

9 Signins

120 Page Views

• Message 5 of 15

2010-12-16, 0:24 AM

I completely agree to what you have said. But i would not have gone to this extent, if i would have felt that i have done anything to the computer. Well when i saw the computer, with all the palstic and other things, it did look really a low quality laptop. Then i thought well, what can i expect for $500. But then i was just hoping even if this works for one year, all good. I didnt expect this laptop to last for like ages.

I wont deny the fact that in those four hours, i must have touched the laptop with a finger. i opened the laptop and then just wiped the screen, feeling happy to have it. And if it had to happen then it should have happened then and there. Lets assume for a moment that it happened because i must have touched it, then i feel the laptop is not worth buying. If by touching the laptop, its screen can crack then i really feel the laptop is not worth.

The point about applying pressure, why will someone apply pressure on the screen of the laptop. Well kids may do that but not a person as old as me.

People who would go for that laptop (thinking well so what if its for $500, after all its from lenovo) mostly would be students or people like me who maybe in a financial crisis and just cant afford to spend much due to whatever reasons. And for such people, this sort of thing can be really painful. 

I dont have the attitude like some peopel have to fight on phone with lenovo customer service or to use foul language while speaking to them. And in my case its very easy to put the blame on me which lenovo guys have been doing from the day i approached them. But rather than doing that i would suggest you to take some time out and improve this model of your, so that you wont ruin any other person like me, who was so desperately relying on having a laptop.

If somebody would ask me did you touch the laptop, i would be honest enough to say yes, and then you would put the blame on me saying ah well i must have applied pressure on the screen. Thanks for your kind words. 

Options

37 Posts

05-18-2010

USA

312 Signins

1597 Page Views

• Views: 1597
  • Message 6 of 15

2010-12-16, 0:28 AM
To be honest, Gmac is correct. Internal cracks are cracks caused by pressure damage, such as picking a laptop up by the screen, even if you have the base supported by your other hand, it can still lead to damage.

Again, like Gmac, i don't want to seem as though i'm accusing you of anything here, that's not my goal. What i am saying, is there are many different scenarios that could lead to an internal crack in the LCD, and since there are 6 layers to that particular part.... you get the gist. I know this isn't a solution to your problem, but an idea to consider.
Options

8 Posts

12-08-2010

Australia

9 Signins

120 Page Views

• Message 7 of 15

2010-12-16, 0:41 AM

Thanks for that. I completely understand that. But what am i supposed to do, think that it must have happened during transit and just forget it. I know i cannot blame anyone here, expect for me myself for buying that cheap quality laptop.

But i did not even use it for 4 hours, i dont know what i am supposed to do. spend another $450 to get it repaired for a laptop worth $500? or just keep quiet?

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 8 of 15

2010-12-16, 1:48 AM

these laptops are shipped in bulk to Centre.com, given that you are over the 14 days return policy of Centre.com. You would need to take it up with Lenovo customer service.

This isn't the first time i have heard about this, there was another case my friend encountered, he saw the ad in ozbargain.com.au (Centre.com do actively try to target the value conscious customer segment). He also had a minor crack on the laptop LCD when he took it home, but he did take it back to the shop the very same day of purchase. After about a hr of argument, they finally refunded his money.

So can you take a picture of the damage, and post it to say flickr, then link it here?

P.S. Did you notice any physical damage to the packaging or anything like that? This should serve as a warning to you for your future electronic or any purchases over 100 dollars with strict return policies, you should inspect the goods as soon as possible, to avoid this kind of hassle. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

8 Posts

12-08-2010

Australia

9 Signins

120 Page Views

• Message 9 of 15

2010-12-16, 2:03 AM

Thanks for your advise lead_org. I appreciate it. I am not over the 14 days policy of centre.com. I actually took it to them and then they said they would send it to Lenovo, which they did. But lenovo denied any replacement or repair and then center.com  told me that if i want i can take this further with Lenovo Customer service.

I will do as you suggested. Thanks again for your advise.

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 10 of 15

2010-12-16, 3:03 AM
that is actually not true, since you bought it at a physical retail store, you should have the basic consumer rights. There is an option for direct replacement within the 14 days period.

I suggest you call up your consumer affair people and inquire with them, i think there is a chance that your machine is replaceable with Centre.com without having to get the Lenovo customer service people involved.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete