Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlleyKat5432
Paper Tape
Views: 628
Message 1 of 9

LENOVO MT 80E3_BU_idea_FM_Lenovo G50-45 Does Not Connect Wirelessly

LENOVO_MT_80E3_BU_idea_FM_Lenovo G50-45:

I am unable to connect wirelessly to our Cellcom wireless router at home. I never have a problem connecting wirelessly at the library, coffee shops or hotels.

Someone told me it had to do with the modem. I'm not sure how they work together (modem and router) and can't locate the type of modem installed on this laptop.

Although I use an ethernet cable, it appears that the port has some problems with connectivity. I have to jiggle the ethernet cable around to make the connection - yes, the ethernet cable is intact (both ends).

What can I do to fix this?

Thanks.

SeniorGuru
Views: 608
Message 2 of 9

Re: LENOVO MT 80E3_BU_idea_FM_Lenovo G50-45 Does Not Connect Wirelessly

Make sure your cable is a good one, it should not wiggle. Use only CAT5 cable with an RJ45 connector, not a phone cord.

Also - the difference between a modem and a router is a bit more complicated. Basically the Modem acts as a signal interpreter receiving signals from your internet source and translating them into TCPIP service to your network devices.

A router has a firewall that safeguards your networked computers from the internet. It "masks" your computers identity from the world and ensures that only information destined for your computer reaches it.

A router usually combines a firewall with a network switch, and sometimes a wirless access point. This allows both hardwired (LAN) connections and wireless (WLAN) connections to the router then thru the internet. I hope this helps with understanding the basics.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
SeniorGuru
Views: 607
Message 3 of 9

Connecting to the internet via hardwired LAN connection requires that a CAT5 cord be used, one end for the notebook and the other to the router or modem. 

The CAT5 cable uses an 8pin RJ45 jack that looks like a phone cord plug on steriods.  It will fit snugly into the notebook networking port and should not have wiggle room.  If you mistakenly use a phone cord, it may damage the port on the notebook and router / modem.

Wireless connections are a bit more complex, they require you use a password to log on to the wireless network and will only work if the notebook has compatible WiFi hardware installed.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
AlleyKat5432
Paper Tape
Views: 595
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for the info. Since all my other devices connect wirelessly to the same router, I'm not sure what I need to do on my laptop (or router) to get the wifi to work.
AlleyKat5432
Paper Tape
Views: 595
Message 5 of 9

Thanks for your reply. I am definitely using an ethernet cable - the same one I've used for years. For some reason, the port is not connecting well to the ethernet. As an example, I was at the library and connected wirelessly. After I was ready to pack up I remembered one more thing and decided to plug in the library's ethernet cable. There was no connection at all.

How can I find out if my notebook has compatible wifi hardware installed?

SeniorGuru
Views: 585
Message 6 of 9

Most modern notebook computers do contain a WiFi adapter inside, with wires (leads) that connect to antennas in the top of the LCD panel.  The best way to determine if you have wirless hardware is to look at your notebook shipping invoice.  It will tell you the specifications of the machine you received with options listed.

The second best way is to explore your "Device Manager" application within Windows.  This is a control panel applet that shows all the installed hardware recognized by the operating system.

Good luck.

CB

AlleyKat5432
Paper Tape
Views: 582
Message 7 of 9

Thanks again.  A screen print of my Device Manager is attached. I'm not sure what to look for. Thoughts?

SeniorGuru
Views: 572
Message 8 of 9

In your screenshot look for Bluetooth, then Realtek Wireless ....

This tells me you have a combination card frorm Realtek, one that can use both WiFi (802.11a/b/g/n) and support Bluetooth (BT) communications with BT enabled devices.

When you have your notebook running, you can look in the system tray for a network icon, if wireless it will show a radio antenna with signal patterns, if hardwired LAN connection, will show a simple box with an end of the network cord next to it.

If you see the wireless icon, you can left click on it and it will show a list of wireless access points (and wireless routers) that are available to you.  Some will show a padlock (secured with password) others will not.  Connecting to a secured wireless point requires a password to be entered.  This is the most common conection method, if your home wireless is not password protected it needs to be.

CB

AlleyKat5432
Paper Tape
Views: 567
Message 9 of 9

Thanks. I have no problem getting the wireless signal patterns but after entering the Key Code it tells me I have the wrong password. I've talked to Cellcom, our wireless provider, and they assured me it is the correct password.

Now I'm wondering if there is somewhere else in the system that reflects the wrong password. Any thoughts on where I could look?

Thanks again!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors