Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JEB1812
What's DOS?
Views: 1,403
Message 1 of 3

Laptop running VERY Slowly

I have a Lenovo Laptop G780 Model 2182 that has recently started running VERY slowly. 

It all started when I noticed that it was making a very strange noise and I turned it off (it had been on for some time - days).  The next time I booted up it took an inordinately long time, and then when I tried connecting to the internet it froze up (or was also taking a LONG time).  I should note that my wife had put a dehumidifier in the room with the computers and I just noticed that there was a fine white dust on the bottom side of the laptop.

I have run a complete virus scan which came back clean, and rebooted.  No luck.

Is it possible that the fan was damaged from mineral dust accumulation?  I have heard that a bad fan can cause the CPU to stop intermittently to keep from overheating.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

cris1966
What's DOS?
Views: 1,324
Message 2 of 3

Re: Laptop running VERY Slowly

I have exactly the same problem it had a clicking sound but that is gone.

I found my fan was cloged but even though I did a very good cleaning it still takes two hour just to log on and even ther i can not open anything.

any suggestions?

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,299
Message 3 of 3

Re: Laptop running VERY Slowly

It sounds like the CPU may have been stuck on its reduced power mode, due to thermal limits. I would try resetting the BIOS, and clearing it out by removing main battery and AC power, then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds.

Once completed, reattach battery, AC power then use the Novo button to turn on the computer, enter BIOS and set defaults, then save and exit.

The computer will restart, then should run more normally, if not then it may need to be serviced.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors