Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
EsmeNation
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,954
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo B5400stuck on ThinkVantage recovery page

Just before I start, I have a Lenovo B5400 with a Windows 7 operating system.

Hello, so I have had my laptop since christmas 2014 and only a few days ago I encountered a problem.

I was noticing that my laptop was running especially slow and, being the impatient person that I am, I shut down my laptop using the power button. When I restarted my laptop again, however, (selecting "Start Windows Normally") I was horrified to see that my laptop went to the blue screen of death.

This is the bsod I encountered: image1.png

So my laptop automatically restarted and it brought me to this screen:

Selecting the recovery option, my laptop shows a black screen (that looks like windows xp) that says "windows is loading files" and it then shows the loading screen and, ultimately, to what I can only assume is the Lenovo recovery system page. It's a picture of a lifebuoy and the words "ThinkVantageTechnologies" with the Lenovo logo in the corner. Past the fan whirring and a loading sign on the mouse in the first few seconds, no further progress was made on this screen. I have repeated this whole process by force shutting down and starting over multiple times, but I still get the same result; no matter how long I wait (I have waited hours before now), nothing occurs and I am seemingly stuck on this page. (I am able to move the mouse when on this page)

I have provided a video of this whole process so you can fully see what is happening. I am no computer genius and I'm too scared to use Safe Mode or anything in fear of what it may delete. My laptop is NOT BACKED UP and I have AVG 2015 running. I would really like to keep all my files too. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. I just wanted to check to see if anyone could help here before taking it to a repair shop.

ityodawannabe
Punch Card
Views: 1,918
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo B5400stuck on ThinkVantage recovery page

Have you ran Lenovo's BIOS diags on it?  It could be that you have a hardware issue.  Try on boot up to select F10.  This is Lenovo's diagnostics.  Run the extended tests to see if it is a hardware issue.  You can also try getting to a command prompt, usually F8, and run check disk with the repair switch.  At a command prompt C:\ type "chkdsk /f" without the parenthesis.  This should fix any errors on you hard drive.  Good Luck!

EsmeNation
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,902
Message 3 of 5

Thank you so much for your help so far, I really appreciate it! I did find the errors;

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Unfortunately, I did encounter a problem when doing Safe Mode with Command Prompt (video of tha included). Also, the message I got mentions backing up before taking action... If I need to do this,  how would I go about doing it? (Considering I can't start up my laptop)

Video error

Again, thank you for your help.

ityodawannabe
Punch Card
Views: 1,880
Message 4 of 5

Sorry to hear it is a hardware issue.  Not knowing your level of technical skills, what I would suggest, and this is only a suggestion.

Order the recovery media from Lenovo, unless it came with them, many laptops did.

Buy a new hard drive and install it and the OS from the disks.

Buy a "Universal hard drive adapter".  On Amazon it is about $30.00

Connect your old hard drive to your laptop with the adapter.  The adapter has a USB cable.

Then copy your files from the old drive to your new drive.

Other than that, there are businesses that will do data recovery for a price and replace and install hard drive and OS as well.  You would have to Google and find one that you like. 

I hope you can retrieve all your data.  Good Luck.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,849
Message 5 of 5

This is definitely a Hard Drive issue, the SMART test failure is the key.  If you have a freind you can trust to help you with this (and is a techie) then you can try using a Linux OS DVD to boot the computer and see if your files are still intact before you spend money on a hard drive to USB adapter.  If your files are intact, and can be seen from the Linux OS file manager it should be possible to recover them to a new drive as others have indicated.

Cheers.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors