Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r00flr00fl
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,495
Message 1 of 10

Lenovo B590 not Booting at all

My Lenovo B590 was working fine yesterday, today suddenly I can't make it boot up.

I have recorded a video that demonstrates the behaviour of the Laptop on Power On:
https://youtu.be/T9IcxsIgRcE

It remains in an endless loop of powering up for a sec, making some click-sound and turning off immediately. Longpress power button ends the loop.

AC cable is connected, battery is inserted.

Things I tried that didn't solve the issue:

• Power On only with AC cable (normally and with 20 sec long Power press)
  • Power On only with battery (normally and with 20 sec long Power press)
  • Removing both RAM and trying it with one each in each of both RAM slots

Probably an issue with the motherboard? Anything else I could try?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,447
Message 2 of 10

Re: Lenovo B590 not Booting at all

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing.  I would try removing the optical drive and then try powering the laptop up.  If that doesn't work then remove the hard drive and power up.  Since the click sounds mechanical in nature, that would lead me to suspect either one of those devices.  If the laptop powers up with a drive removed then suspect that drive as being faulty.

Your model's User Guide will explain how to remove those drives.  Here is a link to that manual for your reference.....

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/b490_b590_ug_en.pdf

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

r00flr00fl
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,425
Message 3 of 10

Removing the optical drive did not change the behaviour.

Removing the hard drive also did not change the behaviour.

The only thing that differs having both drives removed is that in the power up loop it sometimes doesnt make a click-sound, but that appears to happen pretty randomly. Mostly it still does make a click-sound.

Anything else I could check?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,415
Message 4 of 10

One other mechanical source I just thought of would be the fan.  With the bottom slot cover removed check to see if there is any debris blocking its movement and that it moves freely.  A defective fan or non-rotating fan could be enough to prevent boot up and could produce the click. The fan will be accessible by just removing the hard drive / memory  slot cover.

With the drives removed and the fan checked out, if the sound is still audible then the click must be electrical in nature.  I would try removing the laptop's bottom cover and the try powering it.  With the cover removed you maybe able to locate the source of the noise. 

Here is a link to your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual.   The manual will explain how to remove the bottom cover.  Please follow any pre-cautions or recommendations that manual has to offer.

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/b590_hmm_en.pdf

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

r00flr00fl
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,404
Message 5 of 10

The fan can move freely, but it doesnt even start on powering up the Laptop.

I located the sound, I marked the area red on this picture:

Unbenannt.png

I think it's coming from the speakers, if that makes sense.

r00flr00fl
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,379
Message 6 of 10

Could a defective capacitor on the Mainboard cause this problem?

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,372
Message 7 of 10

From viewing the parts diagram for the B590 there is a speaker located in that area.  Quite possible when attempting to boot the computer is generating a static sound in the speaker. 

Have you tried a static discharge?  If not, try this.....

1. Unplug the charger / adapter.
2. Remove the battery.
3. Press and hold the Power Button for 15 seconds.
4. Re-install the battery, plug in the charger / adapter if needed and power up the system to see if the problem was resolved.

If that didn't resolve the problem I would next try removing everything you can from the system.  Memory, hard drive, optical drive, mSATA solid state drive (if applicable), wireless card and the battery.  Now see if it will attempt to boot up.  If it does then return each item one at a time and boot up in between.  When the no boot scenario returns then suspect the last installed item as being faulty. 

If it still doesn't boot, other than an electrical short in the wiring, the only other possibility is the motherboard.  You could examine it further by removing the keyboard bezel and inspecting inside.

r00flr00fl
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,363
Message 8 of 10

Nothing worked, it's probably the mainboard. Thanks for the support.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,301
Message 9 of 10

One last idea...... I was going through your model's hardware manual again and I see that the motherboard's CMOS battery is easy to access.  What I would try is... unplug the adapter, remove the main battery and then remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard. The CMOS battery is the round coin cell battery next to the memory slots.  The battery should be in a socket that has a little tab on it.  Press the tab to eject the battery.  Once the CMOS battery is removed then press and hold the power button for 30 seconds.  This will drain away any residual electrical charge on the motherboard.  If your problem is related to an internal conflict with the information stored in the CMOS on the motherboard this will resolve it.  I'm hoping it does. 

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,240
Message 10 of 10
Moved:

B40-45 - EFI Network Boot Fail after Windows 7 install.

Top Kudoed Authors