cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bijoy3d
Paper Tape
Views: 4,733
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo Essential G580 Keyboard Malfunctioning (Keyboard typing unnecessary characters)

Hi,

I bought a Lenovo Essential G580 on 15th May 2013. Everything was working perfectly until yesterday when my keyboard started to type random characters.

I had just put my laptop to sleep on the night of 20th July 2013 and when I switched on the laptop on the evening of 21st July 2013 the keyboard started typing random stuff. There has been no spillage on the laptop as its safely covered on my table and I am the only one living in my room.
 Also to make sure its not because of a software glitch, I tried the following:

1. Restarted the system multiple times

2. Went to an earlier System restore point. (Tried 5 different one's)

3. Refreshed the system

4. Took a backup and Formatted the whole hard disk and reinstalled Windows.

5. Switched off the laptop for the night and tried switching it on today morning.

None of the above helped. So obviously it is not a software problem. (FYI: The Onscreen Keyboard just works fine)

A few example stuff which I get when I press the keys:

CAPS Lock: WX (When I press Caps lock key it types WX along with it so the pattern goes like this: WXwxWXwxWXwx and so on if you keep pressing caps lock)

q: When I press q its types a tab with qw

m: its types yum instead of m

w: works like caps lock key. Turns on Caps and types WX too.

x: same as w

Backspace: Backspace deletes one character and along with that presses the enter key too

The keys in the middle row i.e.. asdfghjkl are all working fine. The problem seems to be with the other set of keys (most of them)

The laptop had really no issues until this one cropped up. I searched on the internet and found that a similar issue was seen in the Thinkpad Edge15:

Refer:   http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge-S-series/thinkpad-edge-15-keyboard-problem/td-p/406731/pag...

Please help me with this and suggest a viable solution as this is really blocking my work and I have to access my mails and work on a friends PC.

My Location: Pune, Maharashtra, India

Thanks,

Bijoy Prakash

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 4,679
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo Essential G580 Keyboard Malfunctioning (Keyboard typing unnecessary characters)

hi bijoy3d,

Welcome to the Forums.

What you can try is to reseat the keyboard ribbon (see page 49-51 of the hardware maintenance manual). If that doesn't work, there's really something wrong with the physical keyboard and you need to contact lenovo support for service.

Best regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

bijoy3d
Paper Tape
Views: 4,670
Message 3 of 9

Re: Lenovo Essential G580 Keyboard Malfunctioning (Keyboard typing unnecessary characters)

Thanks Neokenchi.

Is it ok if I do this as the laptop is in its warranty period. Please let me know if it doesnt so that i can try it out
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 4,655
Message 4 of 9

hi bijoy3d,

If the unit is still under warranty, it would be best if you have a certified lenovo technician take a look at the unit as they can replace the keyboard part if something is really malfunctioning inside (i.e. the keyboard ribbon). You will also minimize the risk of breaking something in the process if ever something goes wrong.

Regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

bijoy3d
Paper Tape
Views: 4,647
Message 5 of 9

Thanks Neokenchi.
I have called up the customer care and they said they will send a technician to my place soon.
I will update his findings soon.
sbdk82
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,598
Message 6 of 9

Hi,

Did they fix the keyboard issues? My laptop has similar problem.

jaishjoshi9
Paper Tape
Views: 4,571
Message 7 of 9

i have lenovo G580 essential laptop i bought it about 8 months ago it was all going right suddenly today when i started my laptop one beep sound came and it was beeping continously and no start screen was coming and my sleep key is also not working when i pressed fn+f1 sleep key was not working please anyone help me for this 2 issues

irti
Paper Tape
Views: 4,317
Message 8 of 9

I am strucked in the same problem. Can support team of lenovo please help out how to stop wrong keyboard keys in lenovo g580 windows 8/8.1 please help

Angelo075
Punch Card
Views: 4,286
Message 9 of 9

Maybe after windows 8.1 upgrade you have (for example) USA keyboard layout instead of your country layout, check it in the Control Panel!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors