cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gio6969
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,293
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo G series Laptops - any Target availability for Meltdown & Spectre firmware patches?

We own several Lenovo G series - G50, G70 with Windows x64 8.1.

Under the Reading Privileged Memory with a Side Channel
located at
https://support.lenovo.com/au/en/solutions/len-18282
Lenovo Security Advisory: LEN-18282
Potential Impact: Malicious code running locally may be able to observe contents of privileged memory, circumventing expected privilege levels.
Severity: High
Scope of Impact: Industry-wide CVE Identifier: “Spectre” CVE-2017-5753, CVE-2017-5715
“Meltdown” CVE-2017-5754

such G Series seem not listed at all and no Target availability or Link to Update.

The step #3 of the Windows Client Guidance for IT Pros to protect against speculative execution side-channel vulnerabil... requires
3. Apply the applicable firmware update that is provided by the device manufacturer.

Windows Updates and January 2018 Windows security updates (step#2) are not enough, unfortunately.

We are quite worried about the flawed Intel CPUs design and the implications of these security risks.

Do you plan to release firmware upgrades for Meltdown & Spectre risks for the G Series, please? Thank you.

Do you own a G Serie Laptop? Reply to this thread and click over I have this question too.

itsmemico206
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,106
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo G series Laptops - any Target availability for Meltdown & Spectre firmware patches?

I have a G40-80 and I find this topic relevant. Clicked the button. Smiley Happy
robster2001
Blue Screen Again
Views: 944
Message 3 of 9

Re: Lenovo G series Laptops - any Target availability for Meltdown & Spectre firmware patches?

I'm replying in order to follow - I have a G50-45 Laptop (type 80E3016QUS) and would like to know when I can expect a BIOS update.

Michael222
Fanfold Paper
Views: 859
Message 4 of 9

gio6969
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 818
Message 5 of 9

Lenovo G series Laptops - still no Target availability for Meltdown & Spectre firmware patches

Michael222,

that's not a solution. I linked that security bulletin above.

As of today January 12, there is is not a Target availability for G-Series support!

Please ask for BIOS updates covering Spectre and Meltdown security risks for your G serie model.

LevUser
Paper Tape
Views: 795
Message 6 of 9

I do not fully understand this, but I do have private and customer data on my machine, so if there is some kind of problem I support it being fixed very quickly.
gio6969
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 791
Message 7 of 9

Specify your Lenovo G series Laptops - any Target availability for Meltdown & Spectre

Hi LevUser,

please specify your G serie model for BIOS/ firmware upgrade.  Windows OS upgrades are not enough.

In short, about the risks:

"

Meltdown "basically melts security boundaries which are normally enforced by the hardware." Spectre, meanwhile, "breaks the isolation between different applications" allowing "an attacker to trick error-free programs, which follow best practices, into leaking their secrets."

And what does that actually mean? Essentially, either of these vulnerabilities could be theoretically exploited to steal sensitive data, like passwords, off your computer. Spectre is also a threat to your smartphone, so no escape there."

source: http://mashable.com/2018/01/04/spectre-meltdown-explained

shuvankar96
What's DOS?
Views: 771
Message 8 of 9

I have the G50-80 powered by Intel core I5 5200U and running on Windows 10 x64. Please release an update soon to fix the issue.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 764
Message 9 of 9

I've locked this thread because it is a duplication of an issue which is covered in the Security & Malware boards which makes this one redundant.  Further duplicate topics and thread hijacks have also been removed.

Discussions on past and present Security Issues belong in the Security & Malware board.
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Security-Malware/bd-p/Security_Malware

Thank you for understanding.

Andy

English Community Leader

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

Top Kudoed Authors