Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shipahoy
Paper Tape
Views: 671
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo G40-30 Windows 8 Laptop

I would be grateful for any suggestions with my problem...I have a Lenovo G40-30 Laptop ( Its actually my Grandsons)

It will not boot up. I have tried switching on with the LENOVO button. I select system Recovery, and it checks media, and I then get the message (EFI Network 0 for IPv4 (68-F7-28-21-AD-89) boot failed.

Thats as far as I get, except to go in a circle. I have no Recoverey disc.

I dont have a clue as to what my Grandson has done or if its terminal but Ive promised to help. I myself am not a whizz with computers so anyone attempting to help me will have to talk in basic language.

Thank you in anticipation.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 661
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo G40-30 Windows 8 Laptop

Hello and welcome,

What you describe is usually the result of a failed or corrupted hard drive.  It doesn't see a bootable drive so it tries a network boot.

If it's dead it will of course require a replacement.  If it's corrupted to the extent that the recovery tools aren't accessible some kind of recovery media will be required.

You could contact local support and order media or use the Microsoft download and try a clean install.  That should at least tell you if the drive is alive.

Those machines shipped with Win 8.1 or 10.  You should be able to download the OS and create media here.  OS links are at the bottom of the page.  You won't need a key for 8.1 or 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

shipahoy
Paper Tape
Views: 652
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for your reply.

I will try contacting lenovo support. As far as the downloading of windows 8 from microsoft i think I need the product key which i dont have. When I bought the computer as a gift for my grandson I took it to spain for him. He didnt make a recoverey disc. Just informed me his computer wasn't working, so ive had to wait six months till he came over. Do you think Lenovo support would supply me with product key If I supply serial No.

You mention the hard drive may be corrupt. Is it east to replace? Please forgive my ignorance.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 628
Message 4 of 5

If the original OS on the laptop was 8.x or 10 you don't need a key.  It's embedded in the BIOS and will be detected automatically.

As to hard drive replacement, have a look at the HMM:  

Hardware Maintenance Manual - Lenovo G40-30, G40-45, G40-70, G40-70m, Z40-70, Z40-75, G40-80

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

shipahoy
Paper Tape
Views: 620
Message 5 of 5

Thank You For That.

One last question: Having removed the hard Drive, and reseeting it I had no Joy. I have read that my problem could be hard drive failure, or Bios failure. Is there A way of figuring out which has failed. If My Bios is failed then the product key embedded in the bios would be lost. Im happy to buy a replacement hard drive, but I'd hate to find I had done it for nothing.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors