Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nkvrpkrishna
Paper Tape
Views: 1,354
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo G460 Automatically Shutting down

Hi,

I am having a problem with Lenovo G460 which was purchased 2 years back. Around 6 months back I have installed Windows 8. From last 2 months Laptop is automatically shutdown or frequently getting freezed and has to restart to do any task.

Sometimes I see Rainbow multicolored if System got moved, not sure whether this is really related to Display card (Hardware) or Software(re-installed all the drivers as well).

Please suggest me how to resolve this issue.

After installing Windows 8, webcam with Skype is also not working and image is getting freezed. Seems its related to display card once again.

If display card is the problem, how to replace the VGA card and what are the supporting VGA cards for Lenovo G460.

Regards,

Sai Krishna

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,314
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo G460 Automatically Shutting down

hi Sai Krishna,

The rainbow like image that you see when you move the system can either be a cable connection problems from the LCD to the motherboard or the GPU itself. One way to find out if it's the GPU fault is to run a stress test on it (see Passmark's BurnInTest or OCCT) and monitor your temps.

If the system freezes at the stress test then you may have a bad gpu and AFAIK, discrete gpu chips are soldered into the plannar so you will need to replace the entire motherboard. There are two versions of this motherboard, one with an HM55 chipset with integrated graphics and the other one with a 512MB nvidia graphics.

You can check ebay for the spare parts (like this item) or see the official lenovo spare parts website - http://lenovospareparts.com

Regards

Admin edit - this site is no longer valid.  Please visit the Lenovo support site for latest information on obtaining Lenovo service parts.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

cedieblackops
What's DOS?
Views: 1,182
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo G460 Automatically Shutting down

Hi there, I'm also suffering in this issue. same unit.

just want to know what is the cause and remedies of auto shutdowns?
some blogs i read said, heat temp. some computers have that kind of mechanism to protect the unit. they suggest clean the dusts maybe it covers the exhaust fans. (that's my theory also) but when I try to remove the screws, it looks like loose thread already. :3

some also say Busy CPU? is it TRUE?
Does processor do something in that case?

Thanks.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors