Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raffabach
Paper Tape
Views: 974
Message 1 of 4

Lenovo G460 - Wireless Upgrade/Whitelist

Hi,

I want to upgrade my old wireless card Atheros AR9285, but i read some issues with whitelist on lenovo bios...

Can you help me to choose the best Wireless adapter and hack this whitelist?

My routes is an Archer C9 from TP link, dual band AC, so i need an AC wireless Card.

What Wireless card i should by? 

Thanks for aswering.

Raffa 

SeniorGuru
Views: 956
Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo G460 - Wireless Upgrade/Whitelist

You should look at the parts list in your service manual.  This can be found online (see support tab on this page) under the documents for your notebook.  There are only a few options to choose from and if a desired device is not present in that list it will usually not be allowed by the BIOS.

Also - you should only purchase and install WiFi cards "branded" for Lenovo by Lenovo.  If it is stated to be compatible by seller but does not cary Lenovo branding it may not work in your notebook.

The "whitelist" idea was created to keep support options limited to a smaller group of known good and tested devices.  This minimizes complications with troubleshooting and online support agents knowledge of products.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
SeniorGuru
Views: 942
Message 3 of 4

It is well know that "hacking" the whitelist is not something that is supported by OEM's in general and Lenovo in specific.  This forum may not be the best option for researching that subject, or providing you with the answer you are looking for.  In addition, finding a workable soulution to add the "AC" networking to your dated notebook platform may not work as the notebook chipset may not support the neccessary connectivity regardless.

Most "bios hacks" will cause irreparable damage to the target computer turning it into a boat anchor (unusable device) instantly upon deployment. A better idea would be to purchase a notebook that has the desired networking options and take advantage of updated CPU and storage options it also brings to the table.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
av115
Fanfold Paper
Views: 855
Message 4 of 4

My previous post was removed by the moderators so I'll just post again! Smiley Happy

This whitelisting policy cannot be defended. It's nothing to do with compatibility or FCC laws, it's called planned obsolescence. My 9 year old Dell laptop has a 7260AC in it and it runs brilliantly. My IdeaPad Z510 on the other hand shipped with the single band 'N' variant of the 7260 and tops out at a 150Mbps connection speed and is not stable on the 2.4GHz band. A 2 year old laptop is not a "dated notebook platform".

Telling people to buy a new laptop to resolve this issue is not good advice as they will then be in the same boat after a year or 2 when future wireless cards won't work on their new platform because of the manufacturer's restrictions. Wireless technology is evolving very quickly.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors