Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chr15b
What's DOS?
Views: 271
Message 1 of 8

Lenovo G50-30 - no keyboard or trackpad

Have been looking at a laptop for my neighour, she was in hospital for a few weeks recently and the laptop was left without mains power, the battery went flat.

Upon reconnecting it to the mains, although the laptop boots into windows normally, neither the keybaord nor laptop work.

Few things i've observed. i can connect a USB mouse and that works fine, i can navigate around the login screen. if i connect a USB keyboard (tried two) they dont work, even simple things like caps / num lock buttons to get lights on the keyboard.

I also observed some keys on the keyboard do function, F12 and F11 do dim and brighten the screen, F9 does turn the screen on and off.

I've tried other buttons such as F6 to re-enable the touchpad, no success, F7 doesnt appear to disable wifi etc.

I've tried removing the battery / mains and rebooting, doesnt work.

I've tried removing both battery and mains and holding the power button down for a couple of minutes, then re-applying power, didnt work

I also tried removing the battery only and holding down the power, also didnt work.

I've tried holding down the F12 key upon powering to see if i can get into the bios, laptop just booted normally.

Are there any other suggestions to get the keyboard enabled?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 247
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo G50-30 - no keyboard or trackpad

Hi chr15b,

Welcome to the community forums,

Thanks for sharing those details. Could you try to uninstall the USB driver from the Device Manager? From Device Manger >Universal Serial Bus controllers > Right Click > Uninstall > Restart. Then, try to update the BIOS and Chipset driver from our support site. You may use this link https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-g-series-laptops/g50-30-note... to download the drivers. Let us know how it goes. Looking forward to any updates. 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

chr15b
What's DOS?
Views: 206
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the reply, and apologies for the delay in replying.

I understand the instructions, i just have a challenge, without keyboard i'm unable to log in, so i'm unable to perform any of these tasks.

Highlighted
SeniorGuru
Views: 197
Message 4 of 8

Try a USB keyboard (not wireless) and see if it works. If it works, try the instructions for the driver.

Also - make sure the PC is not in "Tablet Mode"... that can sometimes cause the keyboard and mouse not to work.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
chr15b
What's DOS?
Views: 188
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for this, I have tried external keyboard, doesn’t work, don’t even get the normal status lights such as num lock etc. 

Strangely a usb mouse does work. 

How is does the device get switched between laptop and tablet mode, I’ll give this a try..?

SeniorGuru
Views: 178
Message 6 of 8

Try the USB Mouse in all available USB ports and see if there is any changes. Also - try the keyboard in the USB that works for the mouse.

The tablet mode (windows 8 and up) is activated within the system tray or by ease of access settings.

You can also enable an on screen keyboard in the same area.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
chr15b
What's DOS?
Views: 169
Message 7 of 8

Thanks, the challenge is I can’t get to the system tray as I can’t get past the login screen without a keyboard. 

SeniorGuru
Views: 161
Message 8 of 8

Ok.... have you tried to turn on the notebook using just and only the "novo" button? Also - try using a can of air (computer air) to dislodge anything from under the keyboard.

If the novo button starts the computer, go into BIOS and see if the keyboard works, also check other setting or "set defaults" then save and exit.

CB

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors