Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Remiix
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,566
Message 1 of 14

Lenovo G50-45 Upgrade.

I have  Lenovo G50-45 80E3 with a 1.8GHZ A4-6210 APU and Radeon R3 Graphics, I was wondering it is possible to take a G50-45 80E3 Motherboard with  2-2.4GHZ A8 6410 + Radeon R5 Graphics and actually replace it with the motherboard in my current laptop (1.8ghz - R3)

TL;DR: Want to Replace Mobo with 1.8GHZ CPU + R3 Graphics with a Mobo containing 2-2.4GHZ + R5 Graphics. Lenovo G50-45 80E3 is the model.

SeniorGuru
Views: 5,535
Message 2 of 14

Re: Lenovo G50-45 Upgrade.

@Remiix wrote:

I have  Lenovo G50-45 80E3 with a 1.8GHZ A4-6210 APU and Radeon R3 Graphics, I was wondering it is possible to take a G50-45 80E3 Motherboard with  2-2.4GHZ A8 6410 + Radeon R5 Graphics and actually replace it with the motherboard in my current laptop (1.8ghz - R3)

TL;DR: Want to Replace Mobo with 1.8GHZ CPU + R3 Graphics with a Mobo containing 2-2.4GHZ + R5 Graphics. Lenovo G50-45 80E3 is the model.

Most people that attempt to do this, lack the necessary training, skills and equipment needed to ensure success.  Some of the things I would recommend to have:

1. Anti-static mats, clear workspace
2. Service / Maintenance Manual (Printed)
3. Insulated tools (screwdrivers, pliers)
4. Anti-static wrist strap
5. Camera

Make sure to read the portion of your maintenance manual that covers system board replacement, have room to lay out the various parts and a means of documenting / containing small parts.

In my experience,  each sub component board that connects to the main system board uses small connections, ones that can easily fail when separated, causing the system to be non-functional when reassembled. The more connections that are separated, the more likely the instance of failure becomes.  Also - some auxilliary boards are not universally compatible between systemboard revisions.

Best bet - call customer support, speak with technician or engineer and make sure you have all the information needed before continuing.

Good luck.

CB

PS>  Thanks to Majestic - there are some good training videos showing how to accomplish this - with a direct showing of a main board swap.  Service Training - Vidoes for Notebook Parts Replacement

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Remiix
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,525
Message 3 of 14

Thank you for the reply, I was searching all over the net for this and when I emailed the Lenovo Support Team I never got called/emailed back about it so I decided to come here. Im definitely going to watch Majestic's videos to ensure I don't screw this up haha, only thing I have right now.
Remiix
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,489
Message 4 of 14

Update: Have successfully updated my Lenovo Laptop to an A6 + R4.

SeniorGuru
Views: 5,477
Message 5 of 14

Nice!  I am glad to hear you were successful - it is not the normal answer I usually get from people that take on this kind of project.

Cheers...

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Sj3
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,800
Message 6 of 14

Hello,

I want to upgrade the RAM on my laptop. Currently I have a 2GB RAM. I would like to add a 2 GB card to the other slot. Apart from DDR3 and 1600 MHz, is there anything else I should be matching with the RAM card already in my laptop?

Thank you.

georgedim
Paper Tape
Views: 1,456
Message 7 of 14

the link does not exist

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,451
Message 8 of 14

@georgedim wrote:

the link does not exist

Old posts are not maintained for deleted or out of date links.  WIthout knowing more about what system you are using, or the problem(s) you are trying to resovle it is most difficult to proceded with assiting you.

Please provide more information (Notebook Model, Operating System, Troubles) in your next posting.

CB

georgedim
Paper Tape
Views: 1,444
Message 9 of 14

Hi,

I'm new in the forum.

My son got a Lenovo g50-45 model 80E3.

My problem is that my son did not care about drinking lemonades and at the same time gaming so some liquids entered the fan grill causing choking with the time (dust accumulation) of the air circulation and finally burning the motherboard.

Now i'm in search of replacing the mobo with a one fitted with A8 cpu and at the same time installing nwe ram to the max.

Does mobo with A8 cpu fit?

What are the fasted memories for this laptop,  what's the max capacity i can install?

Why the handbnook mentions differently the speed? between dim 1 and dim 2

RAM: DDR3L, 1600MT/s MAX 1 DIMM

DDR3L, 1333MT/s MAX 2 DIMM

Does it mean that dimm 1 is functioning at higher speed than dimm2 even if you have installed the same module?

Thanks for any answer.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,438
Message 10 of 14

@georgedim wrote:

Hi,

I'm new in the forum.

My son got a Lenovo g50-45 model 80E3.

My problem is that my son did not care about drinking lemonades and at the same time gaming so some liquids entered the fan grill causing choking with the time (dust accumulation) of the air circulation and finally burning the motherboard.

Now i'm in search of replacing the mobo with a one fitted with A8 cpu and at the same time installing nwe ram to the max.

Does mobo with A8 cpu fit?

What are the fasted memories for this laptop,  what's the max capacity i can install?

Why the handbnook mentions differently the speed? between dim 1 and dim 2

RAM: DDR3L, 1600MT/s MAX 1 DIMM

DDR3L, 1333MT/s MAX 2 DIMM

Does it mean that dimm 1 is functioning at higher speed than dimm2 even if you have installed the same module?

Thanks for any answer.

Welcome to the forums!

First off, how old is the notebook?  Reasson to ask is it may be out of warranty but still has parts in the warehouse for it.

Now - as for upgrading (replacing) the system board, it is a complicated task to undertake, even more so if you have little or no electronics experience.   If you have the skil set, and time then a systemboard swap may be the right choice.  On the other hand, since it overheated and caused damage you may find it more expident to purchas a replacement that comes with the specification you desire.

Memory sticks and the sockets they fit in vary from systemboard to systemboard so it can be confusing.  Usually DIMM 1 and DIMM2 statements means two slots, same board.  Some notebooks have only one slot (DIMM1) while others can have up to four (DIMM1, DIMM2, DIMM3, and DIMM4) so it really depends on what system board is installed in the notebook.

CB

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors