Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scootie
Paper Tape
Views: 645
Message 11 of 14

Re: Lenovo G50-45 keeps rebooting

In the end I chaged the PCH from the motherboard with a new one. This happened after 2 months the topic was started. Hadn't had any problems since. So once again, the PCH was the culprit and it happened a couple of months after warranty run out.

AndyRC
What's DOS?
Views: 414
Message 12 of 14

What is a PCH ??
Scootie
Paper Tape
Views: 404
Message 13 of 14

The PCH is the main chip on the motherboard. Something like this(the following picture is only an example), since this was done a long time ago I dont remember what kinda of a chip exactly did I change: https://www.google.ro/search?q=bd82hm55&client=firefox-b-ab&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahU...:

SeniorGuru
Views: 394
Message 14 of 14

PCH = Platform Controller Hub, and is the replacement for Intel's Northbridge / Southbridge and I/O controllers. Intel has since phased out the PCH and went with a single "System on a Chip" implementation to minimize the numbers of pathways / connections on their board design. In modern CPU's the various controllers that used to be landed on the system board are now included on the CPU die.

Changing the support chips (North Bridge / South Bridge) or the I/O controller (PCH) chip on a system board is tricky to say the least. Usually because the chips are not landed in a socket, but soldered directly to the board.

If you are familiar with "how tos" for this, and have the right tools to do the job it is still tricky.

My advice - if under warranty, send it in for Lenovo technicians to swap out the system board for a good one. If not under warranty, exercise your other options carefully.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors