Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KX36
Paper Tape
Views: 133
Message 1 of 1

Lenovo G50-80 died after trying to fix DC power jack

4 year old laptop wasn't charging properly, it was being very fussy about the exact position of the power cable in the socket. It has what looks like a pretty common power connector for lenovo, which is a USB sized hole with a single centre pin.

I looked into the laptop socket and saw that as well as the conductor for the centre pin and the outer sides, there was also 4 little tines on each side between the centre and the edge which were clearly all bent off in wrong directions (looked like an old toothbrush inside) I'm guessing the centre pin is +ve, the tines are -ve and the outer connections are just mechanical/shielding. I straightened these all out with a pencil but I think I must have momentarily shorted something as now the laptop shows absolutely no signs of life when I hit the power button. Tried various tricks I've read online about various sequencies of hitting the power button with the battery in and out but no luck.

The laptop was fully charged before I started this, but I didn't disconnect the battery before starting which I probably should have.

So I'm guessing I've shorted the power rails on that connector. What damage have I likely done? I'm amazed that there can be a design where very flimsy pins inside an external connector which are clearly easily bent can cause such damage if they touch another pin 2mm away from them.

Is there any way to save this laptop? If it's a case of replacing an SMD fuse soldered onto the motherboard I can do that sort of thing easily enough as I'm into hobby electronics.

Is it likely that it's the battery circuitry that's broken rather than the laptop?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors