Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pakkee
Paper Tape
Views: 10,521
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo G50-80-i5 way to add extra SSD drive

Hi all,

Just bought a new G50-80-I5 model, which has no optical drive installed, but has the space available.

How can I add/install in the empty slot a SSD drive? I don't see the connectors when I look in the hole.

I see online lot's of caddy's which can be bought, but seems there is missing a SATA/MSATA port. Any way to install that?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 10,484
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo G50-80-i5 way to add extra SSD drive

hi pakkee,

Welcome to the Forums.

Looking at the teardown down (see page 71 of the HMM), the G50 series uses an ODD board (FRU#: 90005944) to connect the ODD to the motherboard.

- Link to picture

If you don't see this part then you will need to purchase it together with an HDD caddy.

- Sample item

Note:

I haven't seen anyone in the community used an HDD caddy on the G50 but it should work as it went well on G40-70 (identical model) in this video.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Magirus
Paper Tape
Views: 10,205
Message 3 of 6

Hi!

I just bought Lenovo G50-80 laptop with exact same features (i5-5200u, Intel HD5500, 6gb, 128gb SSD).

Is there anyone who has added extra SSD drive to his/hers G50? How do I check if there is this extra connector since I don't have optical drive at all? Is it enough to remove the panel? I mean that is it possible to see if there is this additional connector? How about my warranty, can I add extra drive without any problems with warranty?

Thank you in advance for your response!

Best regards,

Markus

pakkee
Paper Tape
Views: 10,194
Message 4 of 6

Hi, I solved it using the suggestion given by neokenchi
Magirus
Paper Tape
Views: 10,188
Message 5 of 6

Does this mean that you had to buy two components:
- HDD Caddy

- Optical Drive Board

Or is it possible that the connector/drive board is already installed although the laptop has no optical drive itself?

pakkee
Paper Tape
Views: 10,172
Message 6 of 6

Indeed buy both

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors