Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo B and G Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

08-20-2015

Guam USA

7 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 1 of 5

Lenovo G500 AMD Radeon Forced Shut Down

2015-08-20, 19:03 PM

Good day!

I have a Lenovo G500 with switchable graphics. I've only ever used the "Power Saving" Intel option because I've never needed otherwise. The only time I use "High Power' AMD Radeon option is when I do extensve editing in Photoshop and no problems there for over a year.

But whenever I try to play games using the AMD card, it just dies. It turns itself off as if the power was cut off. Although the fan speeds up seconds before dying, I don't think this is a heat issue because it dies within 10 seconds of the game starting, I'm in a really cold airconditioned room and the same games are able to run (albeit with low framerate) with the Intel card without any problems.

I've downloaded the latest AMD Radeon HD8750 driver from the G500 support page, and also the Intel HD 4000 driver plus updated the BIOS for good measure. Also cleaned the fan and everything, but it still dies when the game starts.

If it's any help this happens on all games I try to run with the AMD card but not Photoshop, and the one that pushed me over the edge to finally post here is AC4 Black Flag.

Thanks for any help and pardon the long post.

Options

6095 Posts

02-11-2012

Philippines

4459 Signins

274727 Page Views

• Views: 274727
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo G500 AMD Radeon Forced Shut Down

2015-08-21, 14:08 PM

hi Noctureon,

Welcome to the Forums.

When you cleaned the fan, did you remove the old thermal compound and reapplied a good quality thermal paste?

Chances are, if the shutting down problem happens on any game that you run or any graphics intensive task that you launch like watching youtube videos and/or it also happens while plugged-in / running on battery then there's likely a problem with a hardware component of the machine (e.g., the GPU), similar to this thread.

Consider doing the following:

1. Run a full diagnostic test on the machine using the Lenovo Solutions Center (see Checkup > Hardware Scan) or by using the Individual Windows Diagnostics then observe the results on the RAM, HDD, CPU, and GPU tests..

2. Download and install GPU-Z and observe the temps on the AMD Radeon HD8750.

If the machine shuts down while running the test then I recommend you consider removing the heatsink, remove the old thermal compound on both the CPU/GPU then re-apply a good quality thermal paste.

G500 Fan Cleaning Video Guide

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

4 Posts

08-20-2015

Guam USA

7 Signins

29 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2015-08-22, 15:50 PM

It only dies on me when playing games, I can edit high res images on photoshop and even do some video editing no problem.

I did not remove nor replace the old thermal compound.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try those, thank you!

Options

6 Posts

08-23-2015

Philippines

13 Signins

96 Page Views

• Views: 96
  • Message 4 of 5

2015-08-23, 15:50 PM

Whoa hold on here a minute, I've had this same problem even during day 1 since I bought my laptop G405s, which is the SE Asia counterpart to the G505s. Used to overheat all the time, leaving white circles on my desk. This overheating problem is not caused by heatsink or thermal paste AT ALL.

It's some problem with faulty hardware drivers.

You need to manually add each game to the Configure Switchable Graphics Menu of AMD.

Right click the desktop then click Configure Switchable Graphics.

You have to set each game to Power Savings, I have successfully played many games on Power Savings mode without issue.

But the problem is that most games will run High Performance by default, also make sure to set PowerPlay to Preserve Battery Life.

Hopefully they will address this issue.

Till then Power Savings mode is mandatory for every game.

Options

4 Posts

08-20-2015

Guam USA

7 Signins

29 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2015-08-23, 15:54 PM

Yeah, that's the problem. When it's in Power Saving I think it's running on the Intel card rather than the AMD

AC4 Black Flag runs at around 10 frames per second on Power Saving.

I wanted to know if there was a way to run in High Performance without it dying..

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms