Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mavros
Blue Screen Again
Views: 62,308
Message 1 of 23

Lenovo G500 - BIOS stopped detecting DVD-RAM Drive

Lenovo G500 - BIOS stopped detecting DVD-RAM Drive

In fact DVD Drive has worked properly about 10 months and now disappeared from BIOS. DVD is also not visible in Device Manager.

DVD Drive is integrated in laptop. When I push the DVD’s button, LED indicator flashes and tray ejects. When I place a CD and close the tray, the LED indicator starts blinking and a noise of rotating can be heard. After several seconds the blinking stops first and noise after that.

My question is if there is any way to check whether the DVD Drive is really broken and needs replacement or something in my BIOS settings is wrong?

The BIOS was recently updated to the newest version available in Lenovo Support. That caused no problems with DVD Drive and it worked normally.

A week ago I updated successfully Windows 7 Professional x86 to Windows 7 Ultimate x64 via Windows Anytime Upgrade (not using DVD). After that I haven’t use the DVD drive until today. I am not sure if it is possible that Window upgrade to cause DVD Drive to disappear from BIOS.

Computer is Lenovo G500, Product: 20236, Serial: xxxxx, BIOS: 78CN23WW(V2.03)

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Moderator comment: Serial number(s) removed to protect member from mischief.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 62,065
Message 2 of 23

Re: Lenovo G500 - BIOS stopped detecting DVD-RAM Drive

hi Mavros,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

AFAIK, if the DVD drive is not detected in the BIOS then it's likely that the device is malfunctioning / failing (the mechanical parts that turns ON the drive and spins the disc maybe operational but the circuit board that stores the firmware maybe faulty)

More info:

ODD Mechanical Parts

What you can try is to boot into the BIOS, press F9 to load factory settings (this resets the hardware components connected to the machine) and press F10 to save and exit.

If resetting the BIOS to factory settings doesn't work, I recommend you contact lenovo and report your findings as you may need to get a replacement DVD drive.

Support phone list

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Mavros
Blue Screen Again
Views: 62,049
Message 3 of 23

Hi Neokenchi,
Thank you very much for your answer. I followed your advice in BIOS to load default settings.
It was strange for me that after pushing F9 Setup Default the screen got black and laptop frozen. After Control+Alt+Dell the system started loading Windows.

I tried another way. From BIOS menu EXIT I selected Load Default Settings and Enter. I think the BIOS accepted default settings and returned to BIOS menu. After that I quit BIOS with Exit Saving Changes.

Unfortunately after loading default settings BIOS did not detect DVD Drive.

The laptop is in warranty period. I think that I should contact Lenovo service. I will claim the DVD Drive problem.

I think I should inform them about the black screen after F9 Setup Default.

I have also problems with Lenovo Splash Screen at startup. It stuck sometimes and Control+Alt+Dell is needed to restart or removing battery and power as described in “Stuck in Lenovo Screen - G500” https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3000-and-Essential/Stuck-in-Lenovo-Screen-G500/td-p/1510640

Thanks again for help.

Mavros
Blue Screen Again
Views: 61,997
Message 4 of 23

I am in chock!
I was preparing invoice, warranty and original packing of the laptop to pack it and sent to the Lenovo Service when DVD-Drive started working again!!!

My question is if I write a detailed explanation to the technicians, is it possible they to test and find why my DVD-Drive disappears from BIOS and after 2-3 days it appears again and works properly?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 61,985
Message 5 of 23

hi Mavros,

Yeah, you can include your detailed findings on how the DVD drive disappears/reappears from the system under the "Failure Description" field on the Invetory Control Sheet (ICS) form.

Sample ICS (for repairs done in the US/Canada)

- if you don't have this form, you can write the failure description on a paper and include it in the box (or as instructed by the customer service rep.).

Hope you get the computer fixed soon.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Mavros
Blue Screen Again
Views: 61,385
Message 6 of 23

Hi Neokenchi,

Thank you very much for your advice to write an Inventory Control Sheet.

I sent laptop to the Lenovo warranty service in my country accompanied by detailed explanation of my two problems - not detected DVD-RAM Drive and stuck LENOVO screen at startup.

The laptop is already repaired and I hope It will be returned within next days. From service's tracking order web page I read the following information:

Identified defect: _90002794 - ODD board

Carried activity: Changed part

If I am right that is a kind of connector / cable:

Lenovo_G500_Spare_Part_90002794 - ODD board.jpg

My question is if  that part could be responsible also for freezing  of  LENOVO screen sometimes at start up?

Thank you in advance.

santoshkrshano
What's DOS?
Views: 59,809
Message 7 of 23

hi my laptop g500 has stopeed detecting dvd ram drive , i had been installed new version of bios...and also tried to ca\hange the dvd drive bt its not working properly it sometimes show then missing i cant what is the problem

SeniorGuru
Views: 59,788
Message 8 of 23

From looking at the previous postings, may be cable or connector issue on either DVD or System Board. If notebook under warranty contact Lenovo for service and repair options.

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
mhmf2933
Paper Tape
Views: 59,644
Message 9 of 23

i have the same problem on my flex 2

Wraith
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 55,215
Message 10 of 23

What is the dvd ram drive about?  Is there a hybrid drive built in?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors