cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
szomer
What's DOS?
Views: 3,127
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo G500 harddrive failed - help please!

Hello everyone!

I bought my laptop only 3 month ago and its still on warranty. Last few weeks or maybe even from the day i got it - am not sure i could hear something rattling inside but laptop was working fine so i just left it alone. But 2 days ago it seems that harddrive completely stopped working, windows is not booting up and in bios it says it didnt detect any harddrive. So i opened botom cover to see if maybe that rattling was some loose screw and that made harddrive not work and there was a loose screw and i screw it back in (it was just a screw on the bottom not the one that holds harddrive. But my harddrive seems to not work at all and making weird noises when i turn laptop on. Did i void my warranty when i opened my laptop to see what was the problem? or is it still covered by warranty and can be fixed? Please help! Laptop is only 3 months old! Smiley Sad((

Thank you, Greg

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 3,117
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo G500 harddrive failed - help please!

hi Greg,

Welcome to the lenovo forums and sorry to hear about your trouble.

AFAIK, opening up the machine does not void the warranty as many users does this for an upgrade (i.e. RAM, HDD, etc.). However, depending on the place where you purchased the unit, some stores put a warranty sticker on the screw slots so any signs of tear will automatically void the warranty.

If there are no warranty stickers on the screw slots, you may directly contact lenovo on how to go about replacing the HDD in-warranty.

If you're in the UK, here's the info:

Phone Number:  0333-777-3991 (National Rate)

Hours of operation: 09:00 - 18:00, Monday - Friday

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

szomer
What's DOS?
Views: 3,112
Message 3 of 6

Thank you for quick answer.

Well thats a bump... I think there was a tiny sticker on one of the screws. I just thought that maybe somehow harddrive detached from socket if i cud hear a loose screw inside.. I guess now am in real trouble.

So if i voided my warranty (laptop was bought on littlewoods) am gonna have to fix it myself. I can replace harddrive without any problem but is there a way to buy some recovery dvd for this type of laptop? (Lenovo G500)? I never asked my to do any backup discs Smiley Sad and i cant find any information about that on lenovo website...

Thanks, Greg

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 3,108
Message 4 of 6

hi Greg,

Do you mean littlewoods.com? If the sticker says "warranty void if broken" then that's most likely the store warranty sticker from littlewoods, which means you can no longer send it to them for warranty replacement, refund, etc.

I recommend you still contact lenovo and report your findings (include the steps that you've made to fix the problem) and as to how you can get the unit serviced in-warranty (and hope that they don't find out about the torn stickerSmiley LOL ).

As for the recovery discs, you also would need to contact lenovo on how to obtain a copy of the recovery disc as they're the ones who provides the discs.

If everything works out and you get the unit serviced, check this guide on how to create a recovery drive.

More info:

Recovery Drive - Create with USB Flash Drive in Windows 8

Hope you get the computer repaired soon.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Highlighted
Scruffs
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,102
Message 5 of 6

your wannaty is not over, i mean, i asked once, does changing operating system,  RAM, HD change or CD-Rom change void my warranty, they said no. but u can also ask it by calling to  Lenovo (your own country one) or to the shop where you bought it from.

If the warranty is not active anymore, then you can just buy new Harddrive. it is pretty easy to install, youtube have even video for g500 harddrive replacement.

Srry for my english, im not that kind of man who is living in NY or any other English speaking area.

szomer
What's DOS?
Views: 3,081
Message 6 of 6

Thanks guys, I rang Lenovo and i told themwhat happened and that i opened the laptop etc and they just said to pack it up and send it back to them and they gonna replace harddrive. Havent heard back from them yet but it seems like a good ending hopefully Smiley Tongue

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors