cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
silva
Fanfold Paper
Views: 18,168
Message 1 of 22

Lenovo G500 overheating problem (fan not working)

Hello,

I bought a new Lenovo G500 a month ago (14-02-2014).

It has an intel i5 3230M @ 2.6 GHz CPU and an Intel HD Grafics 4000.

The problem that I am having is overheating and I notice 1 week ago, when I was playing a game .

I was playing Asphalt 8: Airborne for a while and notice that the fan wasn't working. That was weird to me because when I play the game it always starts the fan. I went to check the CPU temp and to my surprise the core 0 was at 105ºC !!! and the core 1 was at 100ºC!!!  And yes the pc was very hot when I put my hand near the fan. I also put my nose near to the fan and it smell like burnt plastic (and almost burn my nose).

So to cool it down I went to the energy management and started the dust remover (not to remove dust, but only to get that fan spinning). The fan work and the temp dropped about 30ºC

I let it cooled to 60ºC then started the game again the fan didn't started and the CPU cores where at 90ºC.

So I let the pc idle to cool it down and the temp never went under 60ºC, when it should be around 35-40ºC idle.

Resart the pc and played the game and the fan was working normal and the temp didn't exceed 60ºC when playing. Then when idle it was around 35-40ºC.

This week it happened again. The fan didn't started while playing the game and the CPU cores temp was very high. Restarted the pc and it was back to normal.

Dose any one know what could be the problem? Since it is brand new (near 1 month) I don't think that it is a dust  or thermal paste problem. It is still under warranty, so should I reclaim? And why didn't the pc shut down to prevent damage when it reached over 100ºC?

Sorry for the long post Smiley Happy

Former Employee
Views: 18,009
Message 2 of 22

Re: Lenovo G500 overheating problem (fan not working)

Hi silva,

thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Looking at your case I'm not sure what's causing this but based from what's been posted I assume this is caused by the driver or BIOS. I'd like to work with you on this and to find out what happening. So, for start What I would suggest is for you to update your BIOS to latest from the link below.

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS036474

Let me know of the changes you see.

Hope to hear back.

Regards
silva
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,998
Message 3 of 22

OK, I just installed the last BIOS version. Now let's see if it happens again (I hope not).

Thanks for your support

By the way what driver do you think it is? Can I install also the last version of the driver?

Best Regards

Silva

Former Employee
Views: 17,974
Message 4 of 22

Hi silva,

Just wanted to check in to see if you've tried the BIOS update i posted and saw any changes to your machine?

Another I'd like to confirm when you mentioned driver, may I know which driver you were referring to exactly?

Regards
silva
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,966
Message 5 of 22

Yes I already update the last version of BIOS (v2.01), and until now it didn't overheated. But let's see for the next week if it overheats or not.

Now I have another problem due to updating the BIOS. The problem is that if I want  to adjust the volume, for example I need to press the Fn key, then press F2 or F3. Before updating the BIOS I only need to press the F2 key and F3 key (without the Fn key) to adjust the volume.

I follow these steps, but the Hotkey Mode item don't appear anywhere. Do you know how can I fix this?

If the hot key not work without Fn key after flash BIOS, this SOP describes how to enable hot key mode
   Step 1: Press power button to boot, then press F2 key enter BIOS setup. 
   Step 2: Select sub menu to Configuration
   Step 3: Select to Hotkey Mode item and then press enter
   Step 4: Select Enabled then press enter
Step 5:  Press F10 save and exit, then select Yes then press enter.
Former Employee
Views: 17,916
Message 6 of 22

Hi silva,

thanks for posting. By right you should have the "Hotkey" mode in the configurations tab.Hmm.. I'll need to get back to you on this one.. Let me confirm this quickly..

Regards
silva
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,898
Message 7 of 22

Nope, that "Hotkey" mode doesn't appear anywhere in the BIOS...

Former Employee
Views: 17,877
Message 8 of 22

Hi Silva,

Could you try updating the BIOS again but this time from the link below.
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS036474

If really weird that the Hotkey mode is not appearing in your BIOS.

Do let me know.

Regards
silva
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,871
Message 9 of 22

I downloaded from there and when instaling it says "The version of the ROM file is the same as the BIOS"

So my BIOS is up to date and the Hotkey mode isn't appearing anywhere in the BIOS

silva
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,835
Message 10 of 22

OK I already did the change, I needed to do this in order to the hotkey mode to appear in the BIOS

"If you can't find the HotKey Mode, please try reloading BIOS Default Settings.

You can do so by going to Exit > Load Default Settings."

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3000-and-Essential/G400-G500-Switch-functionality-of-multimedia-k...

After doing this, I enable the Hotkey mode, and now it is working just like before Smiley Happy

I just hope that the overheating problem doesn't appear again.

Best regards and tanks for your support

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors