RSCOMP232
Paper Tape
Views: 292
Message 1 of 9

Lenovo G500S Touch Problem

Good day

One of my clients came to me with a laptop issue

She hasa Lenovo G500S Touch laptop.

It sometimes freezes at the Lenovo Bios Screen. She is running Windows 7 on it as she does not like Windows 8 

Now it does not happen all the time but its frustrating to her as she is not tech minded and she just wants the thing to work. 

Sometimes it starts up normally and sometimes it just hangs at the Lenovo screen.

I have tried removing the battery (sometimes it works) , tried resesting the bios and disabling USB boot.

I have also tried to remove the hard drive and check it in another PC and its fine. When it does start then its fine. it mostly happends when she moves the laptop around or puts it in a bag and takes it out again. There are no bios updates for the Lenovo G500S touch but only for the Lenovo G500S which does not work on the Laptop. Is there anything else we can try as she has spent so much money on this laptop trying to get it repaired as she does photo editing on it and I know the warranty has expired on the laptop and at that stage she did not take out extended warranty. Is the motherboard now defective ?

Please advise as I have never seen this in my IT career and now I don't think I must recommend Lenovo PCs to my clients if they are going to give these issues.

I have even cleaned the RAM Slots too

Looking forward to help here.

Regards

Roger Stace

RSCOMPUTER SERVICE AND RETAIL SOUTH AFRICA.

SeniorGuru
Views: 289
Message 2 of 9

Re: Lenovo G500S Touch Problem

Without seeing the notebook myself I could only state that it sounds like a connection between main board and attached daughter boards in the case. Ribbon cable, connectors and such do come loose over time.

The other things that could cause this would be damages from a drop or liquid spill... But without looking at it for such I could not be certain.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
RSCOMP232
Paper Tape
Views: 285
Message 3 of 9

Already opened the notebook , there is no damage what so ever so it cannot be that. Strange it only started its problems this year. When I serviced the laptop last year there were no issues. and She did not drop it. I hope there will be a bios fix. I also read it could be the DVD rom (she was complaining about it not working right) but strange when it booted properly I did lenovo testing through the utilities and it worked just fine.
SeniorGuru
Views: 271
Message 4 of 9

Sometimes the connector for the optical drive gets corroded or oxidized a bit, then fails to pass commands correctly. This has caused some systems to hang at boot time, mostly due to BIOS not being able to communicate with the optical drive.

I would remove the drive and check / clean them with contact cleaner and a mild abrasive like tool (pencil eraser works).

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
RSCOMP232
Paper Tape
Views: 268
Message 5 of 9

I will try that for her, If that does not work then I will replace the DVD writer, if all else fails then I really don't know Will keep you posted. 

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 251
Message 6 of 9

I presume you have checked the HD for errors (chkdsk etc.) and found no issues, but you might check in the BIOS and see what the boot order is, and make sure it is set to boot from the HD first.   If the CD/DVD is acting up as your client says, perhaps it is indeed causing the problem..

Cheers,

RSCOMP232
Paper Tape
Views: 248
Message 7 of 9

I tested the DVD Writer and it is 100% fine (I even reinstalled windows on it with the drive. , checked the boot order and it is fine. I wish there was a simple solution, maybe to avoid selling those laptops all together as I see 90% of people like this one have the same problems. No problems with HDD , tested it in another PC
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 243
Message 8 of 9

Yeah, I see a few threads on that issue with no one solution but a few state that their problem did go  away when they just removed the DVD drive and left it out..    I do not know how easy it is to reproduce the issue, but given that your client she stated that the DVD was not working properly for her at times, I would try CBHedricks recommendation and remove the DVD drive and see if it helps..  

Best of luck!

SeniorGuru
Views: 231
Message 9 of 9

@RSCOMP232 wrote:
I tested the DVD Writer and it is 100% fine (I even reinstalled windows on it with the drive. , checked the boot order and it is fine. I wish there was a simple solution, maybe to avoid selling those laptops all together as I see 90% of people like this one have the same problems. No problems with HDD , tested it in another PC

Every manufacture that produces notebooks have models that are not very good, and they do get updated or removed by a new improved model.   Not all of the problem notebooks are fixable from the standpoint of a software or firmware update, some are solved with hardware replacement.  In this case, It may be better to see what main board is installed, and look for a replacement out of the parts listing that will be more beneficial.  I know that Lenovo is looking into issues with the Idea line and hopefully some changes are in the works, but remember it is a "consumer" line of products.

Having said all that, I have several Lenovo products in my lineup, most used is my G580 and Yoga 900s - the older T47 still serves a good purpose (running Linux Mint) and works just fine despite being quite outdated...  I also have Acer, HP and a few ASUS models as well, of the lot the Lenovo's have been the most trouble free that I have ever owned.

CB

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors