Options

2 Posts

04-20-2016

BE

2 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 1 of 4

Lenovo G500s laptop will turn on only after a lot of pressing on the power button

2016-04-20, 14:02 PM

Hello

This problem that I have is not a recently problem. It occured I think One and a half years ago for the first time. The laptop is never crashed in the three years that I have him and I'm running now Windows 8.1. Not switched yet to 10.

Now the problem is getting more and more worse. So when I press the powerbutton nothing happens. It doesn't matter, I figured out, that the battery is plugged in or not or that the laptop is connected with the charger.

Every time now that I want to start my laptop I need to press multiple times but not with a specific rhythm. Sometimes he will start when I press for a longer period (around 5 sec), sometimes not. So he is very inconsistance.

Luckily I still manage to get him working every morning but i'm afraid that it will not lost for a long period. 

Is it possible that I have a hardware problem and not a software problem?

Could it be that my power button makes false contact or that it is just some dirt that got into it?

Is there a way to start my laptop without using the power button?

Please I need to get rid of this problem because I'm now on a exchange program in Finland for my thesis and I can't afford my laptop to not work anymore!

I hope someone knows a solution but I searched on the internet with a similar problem but I didn't find anything.

Kind regards

David Bongartz

Options

11170 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

6973 Signins

737809 Page Views

• Views: 737809
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Lenovo G500s laptop will turn on only after a lot of pressing on the power button

2016-04-20, 15:55 PM

Hi DavidBongartz , 

Welcome to the Community Forums. 

As how you describe , seems issue would be more as a mechanical on the power button. 

You can also turn on the PC using the novo button ( small key next to the power item 5 page4).

This would offer normal start up to boot on Windows.

Would there be a squishy or unnatural feel with the button ? 

Aside from the power button , beneath it is a power board that is shared by the lenovo button.

So if both buttons would fail, it may be the power board that is involved (item 3 page 80).

Thinking of another option , specially if you are working on an important document, to keep the battery always charge is to set the power option to just sleep instead of turning it off.  

Reminder : always back up your file on a separate location other than this pc like a cloud storage or an external storage for safe keep just in case. 

Update us how it works for you. 

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

2 Posts

04-20-2016

BE

2 Signins

28 Page Views

• Views: 28
  • Message 3 of 4

Re: Lenovo G500s laptop will turn on only after a lot of pressing on the power button

2016-04-20, 17:01 PM

Hello

Thank you for the quick respons!

What I forget to add in my previous post was that when I press the powerbutton for example to get my computor out of sleeping modus my pc will imediately react. So this is a little bit contradictory to what I said first.

Could it than be that it is the software that is not allowing me to start up fine after shutting my computer completely?

And like you said with the files I have a backup for that so in case of a crash I can work but not as smooth as know!

Kind regards

David Bongartz

Options

11170 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

6973 Signins

737809 Page Views

• Views: 737809
  • Message 4 of 4

2016-04-20, 17:34 PM

Hi David, 

It may be that the reason for you to manage a fast start to wake is that it is not totally turned off and is just on sleep mode. 

This maybe deeper than it looks since the power button works mechanically when pressed just like to wake up. Still try the Novo key if it manage to turn on faster than the power button.

Since you would need the pc at the moment , soon as you have the time , have the laptop check with your local IT or call in technical support for repair option. 

For now just keep the battery charge and use the sleep features to your advantage.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete