cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
itsbeccuhhere
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,562
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo G500s laptop won't turn on. (Multiple Questions)

*BACKSTORY - Skip down to the "Questions" section*

It has been a year since I've purchased my Lenovo 15.6" G500s.

Being a college student, I use this computer on a daily basis. One evening out of the blue, the computer shuts off a couple seconds after I unplugged the power cord and picked it up to move to another location in my apartment. 

I assumed that the computer had gone into sleep mode and didn't try to turn it back on until I was settled down in my living room. However, the computer was shut off and wouldn't turn back on. 

My first initial reaction was that my battery might have been out since I occasionally forget to plug in BOTH ends of the charging cord (I have a lot on my mind at times Smiley Embarassed ) So I returned to my room to plug my computer back in and tried to turn it on. 

Nothing happens.

So I took out my battery and placed it back in again before trying to turn it on. 

Nothing.

At this point, I was stumped so I checked my power cord, everything was fine then noticed that my LED lights weren't on yet the cord was plugged in.

So I searched up solutions and I've tried everything I could find so far:

1) Secret Button Trick

2) Removing the battery then putting it back in and turning it on

3) Plugging the charger in

4) Trying a different battery (which I ordered via Amazon)

5) Removing HD and Ram and then placing it back in. 

I haven't tried another charger yet but I'm prepared to accept that fact that my Mother board might be fried.

I'm open to any other possibly solutions that I can try before returning back home for Winter Break where I will try to contact Lenovo.

QUESTIONS 

Q1: What other solutions have I not tried yet?

Q2: How exactly do I contact Lenovo about this issue? I've check for my warrenty online and it ends 2015-01-11.

Q3: While looking for solutions, I've also tried removing my harddrive and ram and placing it back in(as stated above). During this process, I realized that I had one stray silver screw rolling around inside my computer. I've removed it and placed it somewhere safe BUT I was wondering if that would affect or void my warranty in anyway?

Q4: If I bring it in to have it repaired, will all my data on my HD be wiped? 

If so, how would I go about backing up the data? Since this laptop is used solely for my school work, I have valuable data that I need for classes on there. Smiley Surprised

Sorry for making such a long post - Just wanted to make sure that anyone who'd be interested in helping me to be thoroughly informed.

Thank you all in advance!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 6,562
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo G500s laptop won't turn on. (Multiple Questions)

hi itsbeccuhhere,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums.

Regarding your questions:

1.  Trying out another AC adapter would have isolated the possibility of a bad charger but since you mentioned that you purchased a different battery (which is normally factory pre-charged) and didn't worked, it's likely that there's an internal component that's malfunctioning.

2. Check this support phone list on how to go about getting the unit serviced.

3. If you're not missing any screws when you assembled the system back after you reset the HDD and RAM then it's likely that the stray silver screw that you found might have been loose from a different component. If you can't find the place to screw it back in place then I recommend you report it ASAP when contacting lenovo support to avoid any discrepancy on the warranty service.

4. It's always essential to backup important files before sending the machine for service. In your case, you may need to purchase a 2.5" SATA enclosure to convert the HDD to an external drive and make it readable on another PC.

- Sample item

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

jackal1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,973
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo G500s laptop won't turn on. (Multiple Questions)

Could you share what the solution was? Guessing you sent it in? Having the same issue but out of warranty.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/G505s-won-t-turn-on/td-p/3445395

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors