Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahmadsamir11
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,410
Message 1 of 8

Lenovo G500s no more detects the CD/DVD drive

i have a windows 8.1 64bit on my G500s (non-touch model) laptop

i was installing windows updates (and this is the only action related to OS - drivers i made)

accidentally i found no Optical drive in my computer under windows

iam sure the laptop wasn't subjected to trauma, falls or else.

i thought it might be a conflict in my OS , so i installed a new fresh windows install

i was astonishingly surprised that the CD drive in not listed in the BIOS (setup)

i tried to install the BIOS update from the lenovo site but unfortunately it refuses to run as i have the same version (most updated bios version)

i tried my DVD drive in another computer and it worked fine, so it is not a drive problem

still the tray opens and closes and its led light run, so it is not power problem, however not identified neither by the BIOS nor by windows

help is highly appreciated

thanks in advance

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,393
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo G500s no more detects the CD/DVD drive

Hi Ahmadsamir11,

Welcome to the Forums  

As per the query we understood that you are facing issue with DVD in your Lenovo G500s laptop.

As you have mentioned that this DVD is working in another system, try to swap check the DVD of other system in this system and check for the issue.

Also try to change the BIOS into default setting and check for the issue.

Hope this helps. Do post back if the issue persists.

Best regards,         

Ashwin. S

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

ahmadsamir11
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,389
Message 3 of 8

thank you Ashwin for your reply

i tried a lot in changing BIOS options (including trying both AHCI and Compatible modes) and many times to load optimized default settings in the BIOS but nothing solved the problem

as for ur other suggestion

the other system i tried my DVD drive into is a lenovo G500 of a colleague (not the S model) but unfortunately my drive is slimmer (G500 drive is more bulky than the G500s') so mine fits into the G500 however the reverse is not applicable

waiting for other suggestions

and very grateful for your reply

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,386
Message 4 of 8

Hi Ahmadsamir11,

As you have mentioned after the BIOS default the issue still persist, try to update the BIOS and check for the issue.

Click here for the BIOS update for windows 7,8,8.1.

Hope this helps. Do post back if the issue persists.

Best regards,         

Ashwin. S

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

ahmadsamir11
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,377
Message 5 of 8

as i previously mentioned in my first post

the BIOS update win7,8,8.1 is the version i already have on my machine (the most updated)

when i tried to launch the application that i downloaded from the lenovo website, it refuses to continue and give me a message that the version i am trying to run is no newer than what i have already, and there was no way to force it to run anyway or else .....

???

ahmadsamir11
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,348
Message 6 of 8

dear all

it had been long since i heared any suggestions

still my problem is unsolved

have any of you knew a way to force updating the bios (through a bootable media or else)..?

ahmadsamir11
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,225
Message 7 of 8

back again to you

after many months of creating this thread i gave my feedback

1- it's not a bios issue

2- the DVD drive keeps appearing and disappearing by itsel with no explanation for coming or going, when it appears it functions fully

3- i assume it is some hardware issue or whatever

4- nothing is helping in it

Mike-Fischer
Blue Screen Again
Views: 902
Message 8 of 8

I have the same problem.  I had the optical drive swapped out for a new one near the end of the warrantee period.  It worked for awhile, now fals to be seen by Win 10.

Please create a troubleshooting guide.  If a bios upgrade is needed, let us know.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors