cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
3razar3
Paper Tape
Message 1 of 14

Lenovo G505 RAM Confusion

i bought this Lenovo G505 about a year and a half ago and for the most part i love it, it does everything i need it to do within reason. but i have had one nagging problem with it the whole time and up until today i blamed it on different size sticks and memory speeds, but today I bought brand new corsair select DDR3L 1600mhz memory 2x8gb (16gb). sadly the problem still exists.

it seems that no matter what stick of ram is in the second slot, that while the bios recognizes the total, and windows claims to recognize the total, the second stick is not USABLE memory. please view the photo to see exactly what i am referring to. I have tried a multitude of different operating systems (win 7,8,8.1,10, countless linux distros) all give me the same problem. I would REALLY like to know how to fix this problem as currently having 16gb of memory and only 7.45 usable is heartbreaking...

Lenovo Technology Partner
Message 2 of 14

Re: Lenovo G505 RAM Confusion

Hi  3razar3,

Can you check if windows is using the half of the memory as hardware reserve? To check this open up Resource Monitor from Taskmanager. If you see that your missing memory is being reserved  for hardware do the following steps. 
Open msconfig - > click on Boot - > Advanced options - > untick maximum memory, restart the system. 

Hope this helps. 

Cheers,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudos!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"
SeniorGuru
Message 3 of 14

Also - check in BIOS for allocations to Video Memory and if Shadow BIOS into RAM is an option.

It sounds as if Windows or the OS is being told that some of the physical memory is reserved for system use.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
3razar3
Paper Tape
Message 4 of 14

there is virtually no advanced bios options on this model (an annoyance i rather detest) as for reserved memory, yes its reserving 8755mb and i do not have memory or #cpus ticked

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Message 5 of 14

Could you download CPU-z from here:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Please post screenshots from the SPD tab, slot#1 memory, then slot#2 memory AND the memory tab screen.

Also state the Corsair part number you ordered or a link to the website you ordered the memory from showing specs of the part (8GB memory,2 sticks).

What is your current BIOS level?

=

I have seen this symptom in other posts...... the 2 memory sticks were NOT to specs[1 was to spec. the other was not]  but the system "recognized" they were there.

If you could take a picture of both memories, showing INFO, that would also help.

Example :wrong voltage:

z51-70 2GB 1.5v wrong.jpgz51-70 8GB 1.35V correct.jpg

3razar3
Paper Tape
Message 6 of 14

the bios is the most recent 82CN24WW (2.04) which is InsydeH20 rev 3.7

the link showing where i bought the memory is from NewEgg: 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233579

and i will include the screenshots you requested below... If i absolutely MUST open the laptop again to take the sticks out to photograph them i will, but they are identical and exactly as ordered from above link

cpu-z_memory.jpgcpu-z_spd-slot1.jpgcpu-z_spd-slot2.jpg

Lenovo Technology Partner
Message 7 of 14

Hi, 

Can you try going back to system configuration and put a tick in the max memory then set it to max 16 GB. 

Cheers,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudos!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"
3razar3
Paper Tape
Message 8 of 14

done... no difference..

no one happens to know how to access the advanced options menu in this bios do they? i know that InsydeH20 has a hidden menu, however it changes with different revisions as to how to access it, pre 3.5 it was just hitting (A) in the bios screen, 3.5 was hitting Fn-Tab, but neither of those work in 3.7... if i could get in there perhaps there is something i can set like Shadowing or somesuch

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Message 9 of 14

These links shows max memory on a G505 as 8GB.

http://notebookplanet.blogspot.com/2013/07/lenovo-g505-specs.html

http://techonbudget.com/laptops/lenovo-g505-59373013-budget-laptop-with-amd-tech

http://www.microcenter.com/product/415221/G505_156_Laptop_Computer_-_Black

I have seen other websites showing 16GB max.

Could you try this>change Sata mode in the BIOS from AHCI to compatability mode.

A user in another post stated this fixed the memory issue for their machine(not a G505 machine). A simple test worth trying??

3razar3
Paper Tape
Message 10 of 14

i will give the sata mode idea a shot, definitely something i havent previously seen.

i have read a range of different max memory statements from 4gb - 16gb and to be honest i doubt its 8gb because this issue occurred back when I had (2) 4gb sticks and it would tell me i only had 3.45 usable.

I have been reading that there is supposedly some hidden Advanced Menu for the bios but the key combinations to access it are obscure and apparently change depending on the revision of the InsydeH20 that is installed and i have yet to find one for rev. 3.7

but i will give this idea a shot and definitely report back
Top Kudoed Authors