Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
3razar3
Paper Tape
Views: 392
Message 11 of 15

Re: Lenovo G505 RAM Confusion

addendum to last response, i tried switching the compatibility mode but cant boot the installed windows 7 in the different mode (yeah i know why.. lol) so i am going to try and make a live linux mint usb disk and then try booting into live via the changed compatibility mode to see if it affects the memory (since i know that in the ACHI mode it reacts the same way windows does (hardware reserved with 7.45 available) again, i will respond again once i have tested this.. i really appreciate all the help i hope we can get this ironed out i wouldnt be surprised if others have this problem too.

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 378
Message 12 of 15

This is just FYI!

Your CPU-Z report, memory, shows Dram frequency 665.3 MHZ. ticks 9-9-10. SINGLE channel.

Your CPU-Z report, SPD, slot#1 shows  pc3-12800(800MHZ) max bandwith..

but your timings table shows JEDEC #5 being used, not JEDEC#7. ticks 11-11-11.

JEDEC#5 is 9-9-9, which is your Corsair spec. AND default DDR3 JEDEC spec.

Add this fun link:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/ddr3memoryfrequencyguide.aspx

What does the mean?

Your AMD A6 series APU with DUAL RANK memory will have max memory speed of 1333.

DUAL RANK means twice. Thus 1333/2=666.5 basic memory speed.

==

I can not find a G505 in psref.lenovo.com anywhere, including Western Europe version.

The confusion is still out there. [I will keep looking during the next few weeks].  

==

Back to your two 4GB sticks, with only  4GB recognized  minus hardware reserve.

Please take a picture of the 2 sticks showing info. I am just looking for the part number of the stick(s).

Did you purchase this machine NEW for your use? If so, did it come with two sticks of 4GB and windows 8 32 bit or windows 8 64 bit? I want to see a pic of memory sticks installed at purchase time. 

[edit to correct statements ].

3razar3
Paper Tape
Views: 354
Message 13 of 15

actually it came with (2) 2gb sticks and it would only show 1.45gb available with 2gb in reserve. I will be happy to photograph the memory sticks for you and cpu-z them inside to show that as well if u like. no matter what configuration (4gb,8gb,16gb) it always remains the same, the BIOS shows that the full amount is installed but any operating system (win 7-10 & any blend of linux) always only gives whatever stick is in the first slot as usuable and the 2nd slot as hardware reserved. As to where I bought it, i got it from eBay not the store. although purchasing area is unimportant, I am not asking for information into the history of the machine i am asking how to fix the problem. even running at 4gb of memory ((2) 2gb sticks) it isnt running correctly even though the bios is seeing all available ram, THUS there *HAS* to be a communication problem between the BIOS and the Operating System.

finally, the AMD 2.0ghz is a Quadcore not a single core and you should know this considering you know its an A6 which is always quadcore.

side note: switch SATA compatibility did not fix the problem tested as i said with Linux Mint 18.1
sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 339
Message 14 of 15

Thanks for the feedback. As far as the history of the machine, I was looking for installed memory at build time of machine, to see if the machine REQUIRES only memory stated in the hardware maintenance manual.(ie, a whitelist in the BIOS).  -or- certain tic memory. I did not expect the sata change to solve anything(not my idea, another user).

Your observations seem to indicate:

whatever memory is in slot 2, it is showing up as reserved memory. 

=

This issue is in the BIOS and you may/may not be able to be correct.

You could try the BIOS option reset to factory and see if it detects new memory.  

=

http://shopap.lenovo.com/in/en/laptops/lenovo/g-series/g505/index.html#tab-tech_specs

https://online.asbis.sk/documents/popisy/Lenovo/G505.pdf

Please state your Radeon module type. HD 8570... other.

I suspect you own the spare parts version sold at retail outlets,  A  radeon HD8400?.

-or- a earlier Lenovo edition not outlined in docs above.

==========

Any user of a G505 with 4GB memory(2x2GB sticks), please state if you find 2nd stick, reserved 2GB. Thanks!.

3razar3
Paper Tape
Views: 71
Message 15 of 15

bump

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors