MattQE
Paper Tape
Views: 12,805
Message 1 of 8

Lenovo G505 Will not boot in UEFI or Legacy Support

My Lenovo G505 laptop running Windows 8.1 gave me error messages that say:
"EFI Network 0 for IPV6 boot failed."
"EFI Network 0 for IPV4 boot failed."
"Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed. Inset Recovery Media and Hit any key. Then Select 'Boot manager' to choose a new Boot Device or to Boot Recovery Media"

Then it goes to the boot option menu and gives me a list of the two boot options:
"EFI Network 0 for IPV4"
"EFI Network 0 for IPV6"
with no option to select the HDD despite BIOS being able to detect it.

I changed the boot mode to Legacy Support from UEFI, and this time on the boot option menu I got a choice to boot from the HDD or the ODD. When I chose to boot from the HDD I got another message saying "Check cable connection!" PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM."

I tried to boot Ubuntu from a flash drive and from a CD, but I still got the same result as when I tried booting from the HDD.

I think the problem is that my Laptop won't boot in legacy support, but when I use UEFI I only have the option of booting from the network. I have no idea how I could fix this, so any suggestions are appreciated.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 12,715
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo G505 Will not boot in UEFI or Legacy Support

hi MattQE,

Welcome to the Forums.

Just to verify, is the unit originally Windows 8 and this problem occured after you upgraded to Windows 8.1? Any changes that you made to the machine before the problem occured?

From the looks of it, this seems like a hardware failure but can you try the following:

1. Boot into the BIOS and set the following options (if applicable):

Security Tab:

Secure Boot = Disabled

Exit Tab:

OS Optimized Defaults = Other OS / Disabled

2. When done, press Fn+F10 to save and exti and observe.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebppl and Twitter!

MattQE
Paper Tape
Views: 12,687
Message 3 of 8

Thank you for your response, I've done what you said but it only gave me the same error messages as before. I think if I disconnect and then reconnect the hard drive to the motherboard it might work again. However there are no screws on the laptop at all. I think they might be underneath the rubber pads on the bottom of the laptop, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to put the pads back on if I take them off.

Also, I upgraded to windows 8.1 the day I recieved the laptop. This issue didn't occur until three days later. I've tried just about everything there is to do in BIOS with no solution. So I'm certain it is a hardware issue.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 12,677
Message 4 of 8

hi MattQE,

Consider pressing the OneKey Recovery button to check if the hidden partition in the HDD is accessible. If this fails then we're most likely looking at a possible HDD failure (either the HDD or the connection of the HDD to the motherboard).

You can try to re-seat the HDD (see page 38-40 of the hardware maintenance manual on how access the HDD) or contact lenovo for service (as the machine is still under warranty)..

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebppl and Twitter!

Highlighted
MattQE
Paper Tape
Views: 12,646
Message 5 of 8

I figured out how to open up the laptop. It turns out there were two screws underneath the battery that allowed the back cover to come off. I reseated the HDD, but had no luck. I have a feeling it's a motherboard issue. And yes I am able to access OneKey Recovery menu. Once again, thanks for the response. I haven't done too much experimenting with the hardware, so I'll see what I can do.

sharrin
What's DOS?
Views: 12,476
Message 6 of 8

I experienced this problem over the wekend.  I tried the lagacy boot with no change in the codes.  I noticed in the information that my harddrive was not detected.  I opened the laptop and found that the hard drive was not secured, it appears that the screws to hold the hard drive in place were omitted.  Simple fix found some screws and secured the hard drive.  Laptop works just like it did when I purchaged it 4 months ago.

Tanishag
Paper Tape
Views: 1,464
Message 7 of 8

I try the step but it dont work
Tanishag
Paper Tape
Views: 1,461
Message 8 of 8

I have a Lenovo B50-45 and have the same problem what can I do? I have try avery thing exept open up my computer

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors