Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo B and G Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

07-03-2015

Finland

8 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 1 of 6

Lenovo G505 black screen after boot

2015-07-03, 13:35 PM
Hello everyone,

So I woke up this morning and my laptop wouldn't boot up anymore, it only shows underscore on top left corner. I'll try to explain as detailed as I can.
Before going to sleep I was watching a movie while on battery, then after i was done with I just left it till it discharged (or went to sleep, I'm not quite sure). Next morning when I tried to switch it on it showed black screen with underscore on the top left corner. I googled it up and found some solutions as holding power button for a while or checking out bios settings. But the problem is I can't even go to bios! Tried all the combinations, which gives me no response so far. (Just to be sure Which one is it by the way?)
I would like to emphasize that this underscore/cursor thing is not blinking or anything. Laptop reacts on some fn buttons (like f9 that switches off the display), Ctrl+alt+del gives completely black screen for a few seconds then goes back to underscore. There's no beeps, fan is still running, USB ports are working...
This really drives me crazy. Please please any help would be appreciated!! :) I can't let it die just like that :/

Thanks!!
Options

4469 Posts

04-22-2013

Philippines

3830 Signins

254594 Page Views

• Views: 254594
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo G505 black screen after boot

2015-07-03, 14:28 PM

Hi evoo,

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums!

Have you tried If Accessing the Recovery Partition will give you any response?

Try Pressing the OKR Button while the computer is OFF.

If Pressing the OKR Will give you options, try going into BIOS / Setup also

Let us know your Findings.

Solid Cruver

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

5 Posts

07-03-2015

Finland

8 Signins

29 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2015-07-03, 16:15 PM
Hi Solid_Cruver,

Thanks for reply. I assume you mean OKR as in one key recovery,the button next to power button. I just tried it several times with no luck. :( it gives the same result. I don't even get to see lenovo splash screen, it goes straight to blank screen. I do use win8.1 that came with the laptop and it should have recovery partition as I didn't touch anything there.

Any other suggestions?
Options

5 Posts

07-03-2015

Finland

8 Signins

29 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2015-07-03, 20:03 PM
So it switched on once randomly while it was on AC without the battery. It went to the resuming from sleep stage. Being too happy about I tried to put battery back and it wouldn't switch on again. I'll leave it off for a while again and would report my results. At this point I'm completely clueless what could be the problem.
Options

5 Posts

07-03-2015

Finland

8 Signins

29 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2015-07-05, 18:33 PM
Shameless self bump.

So I tried a couple of things like- clearing CMOS, replacing RAM/ HDD, booting up with only flash drive, touch some connectors I could reach, Nada. Still black screen with the cursor. But I read quite a lot of same kind of problems and people were reporting the underscore was blinking whilst mine is not doing anything. I would try using other HDD if I'll get my hands on it.

..so does that mean its most likely a hardware problem (ie motherboard)? I can't even afford shipping my laptop to lenovos office because I'm just a student. Honestly I ran out of any other ideas. What bothers me is that I've been able to boot it up completely once, gives me hope that not everything is lost :(
Options

4469 Posts

04-22-2013

Philippines

3830 Signins

254594 Page Views

• Views: 254594
  • Message 6 of 6

2015-07-06, 13:34 PM

Hi evoo,

Sorry for the late reply.

In my own Experience, When I get a screen with a line on the upper right of the screen is a Disk load problem.

the fact that it was able to load up to that page means the CPU and RAM are OK.

Try turning ON the computer without any HDD. and Make sure that there are no USB device Plugged in.

Let me know your findings

cheers!

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms