Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmac859
Blue Screen Again
Views: 211
Message 1 of 2

Lenovo G505 can't update BIOS

I've been having some overheating issues on my g505. My CPU and GPU are basically always at 70-75+ C, while doing nothing.

I did some digging and saw people saying that I needed to update my BIOS version. But after going trough the whole "Detect My Product" and "Drivers & Software" routine, I didn't find any update files for it.

My BIOS is currently at V1.02. Is this correct? Or do I need to update, and if so, HOW?

MGhee
Punch Card
Views: 169
Message 2 of 2

Re: Lenovo G505 can't update BIOS

Hi bmac

A very quick search on Lenovo support for G505 and G505s brought up 2 BIOS updates for Windows 7 and 8. The 505 was at version 2 and the 505s had a BIOS update at version 3 (which also addressed a CPU heating issue). Now, you need to head over to support and put in your exact model with the serial number to find support for your exact model - don't put it here in the forums for everyone to see.

Again, make sure you're looking at support for your exact model including OS installed, I think at least one of those BIOS version applies to you... but can't be sure since you provided little info about your particular system.

Here's the pages JUST FOR REFERENCE:

-> G505 -> https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/LENOVO-G-SERIES-LAPTOPS/LENOVO-G505...

-> G505s -> https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/LENOVO-G-SERIES-LAPTOPS/LENOVO-G505...

Also, it wouldn't hurt to clean the dust out from under your system, including the fan. A replacement should only be a few dollars, My G50-45 fan was $9 US dollars. I'm sure Youtube has loads of videos dealing with your exact model and how to get inside safely to perform some maintenance.

Finally... you may not be up to this, and Youtube might atleast show you how to do it, and that is AFTER a successful BIOS update you might want to reapply the thermal compound to your CPU. It is some work, not hard just tedious, and you will need to be somewhat tech-savvy to do it properly. It can and has been done regular folks like you and me. I'm not at all familiar with laptops but after watching someone else do many of the things I needed to do, I took copius notes, made sure I followed exactly the same steps and have successfully accomplished a few important tasks to keep this otherwise modest laptop running for a few more years, including applying the only BIOS update for my exact system since its release in 2014.

I hope this gets you in the right direction. I'm confident you can perform these taks, be patient, pay attention, save the videos to another system to rewatch.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors