Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Berkeur
Fanfold Paper
Views: 352
Message 1 of 20

Lenovo G510 2. HDD disappeares from time to time on windows 10

Hi,
I replaced the optical drive with a 2. hdd (with hdd caddy), but it disappeares frome time to time, randomly. I can see both drives in bios, but windows 10 cant connect it.
i7 4702MQ, 8 GB ram, R7 M265

Kingston SV300S37A120G 120GB SSD in the main SATA drive
1TB WD Scorpio Blue in SATA caddy

Berkeur
Fanfold Paper
Views: 305
Message 2 of 20

Re: Lenovo G510 2. HDD disappeares from time to time on windows 10

Sometimes it shows after startup, sometimes not. Sometimes it just disconnects while use. I tried to uninstall Intel Rapid Storage Technologies, reinstall windows, install the Intel RST driver on the driver download page, even the updated version. None of them worked.

shanalikhan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 271
Message 3 of 20

I have the same problem

Were you able to fix this issue?

SeniorGuru
Views: 267
Message 4 of 20

This could be a connector issue, either with the docking device to notebook, or between the HDD and docking device.  I would suggest checking connectors, make sure are tight and secure. You can also clean the contact points with rubbing alcohol to see if that can help.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Berkeur
Fanfold Paper
Views: 262
Message 5 of 20

I still have no solution.

There was another post on reddit where they offered some solutions. It did not worked for me, but you can try them also.

https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/56lrdd/lenovo_g510_secondary_hdd_problem_via_caddy/

Also, i cleared all connectors, no sign of damage and they are clear. And i think its a software issue, because the default SATA controller can connect it, but can not use it. 

SeniorGuru
Views: 255
Message 6 of 20

With some of the after market "docks" used to replace the optical drive with a HDD it will not work correctly due as the controller for the optical drive bay only accepts optical drives. When a HDD is inserted it does not work as the controller will not "talk" to it correctly.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Berkeur
Fanfold Paper
Views: 242
Message 7 of 20

But it was working for me for half a year, and then something happened (i guess windows update) and now its not shown in windows.

shanalikhan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 237
Message 8 of 20

Yes i reseated the Drive again.

Now it does show in my explorer but now i have started facing another problem

Detailed in : https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/Lenovo-G510-HDD-stop-working-after-inse...

Problem is that hard drive stucks after 5 to 10 minutes after every startup.

Is this due to some flip switch in universal Caddy? as while reseating the Caddy and HDD i fou

I dont know why it seems to stuck again and again

Berkeur
Fanfold Paper
Views: 222
Message 9 of 20

I had the same issue at first. The HDD in the caddy does not work with the standard microsoft SATA controller. After i installed the intel Rapid Storade Technology it forked for some time, then the drive just disappeared. You can chck the SATA controller in device manager.

Untitled.png

shanalikhan
Blue Screen Again
Views: 216
Message 10 of 20

I have Standard SATA AHCI Controller installed, i tried install rapid storage but it doenst intall may be its already updated.

I dont know why Lenovo Just dont push BIOS update compatible with Windows 10 and fixing such types of issues as alot of users experienced this issue. I am pretty sure this is not hardware problem as i see alot of Lenovo G510 Users success using Caddy.

I think solution can be to find some other caddy with better quality to this one.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors