Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo B and G Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

60 Posts

08-14-2014

Pakistan

96 Signins

426 Page Views

• Views: 426
  • Message 1 of 7

Lenovo G510: HDD stop working after inserting inside Caddy and SSD Installed

2017-02-11, 17:19 PM

I have Lenovo G510. I am using WD 1TB hard drive since 2 years.

I bought new SSD and replace SSD with HDD and then replace the CD Drive with that 1TB Hard inside Universal Caddy.

Initially i was getting problem the drive doenst show in Windows 10. I reseated the Caddy once again after that it started showing up.

Now it shows the secondary HDD but after start up it stops working like i get 100% active time, and 0 read and write.

There is flip in universal Caddy in which there are 3 states and i have set in the middle, but the problem is still there that

HDD that i was using from years stops working inside caddy after 10 minutes startup, the SSD is working fine

What can be the issue? any ideas

Options

180 Posts

11-28-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

138 Signins

2083 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 2083
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Lenovo G510: HDD stop working after inserting inside Caddy and SSD Installed

2017-02-22, 10:38 AM

Hello shanalikhan

Thank you for using the Lenovo Forums.

Can you please confirm if you have performed any driver (such as BIOS, chipset, etc...) updates after installing the HDD back into the unit?

This may be the cause of the issue.

You can find the right drivers for your unit on the Lenovo support site:

http://support.lenovo.com/de/en

Hope this help you and let us know how you get on

Did someone help you today? Thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

60 Posts

08-14-2014

Pakistan

96 Signins

426 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

Re: Lenovo G510: HDD stop working after inserting inside Caddy and SSD Installed

2017-02-22, 20:40 PM

No i didnt installed any driver after inserting.

I reinstalled Windows in SSD to make sure there is no problem.

I tried almost 5 caddies but it didnt pick any of them

Options

60 Posts

08-14-2014

Pakistan

96 Signins

426 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2017-03-18, 19:58 PM

No, i didnt upload any driver after installing HDD

I have the latest drivers from the lenovo page.

Options

2400 Posts

11-07-2014

United States of America

1534 Signins

24216 Page Views

• Views: 24216
  • Message 5 of 7

2017-03-25, 6:29 AM
If I understand correctly the original HDD was removed and replaced with an SSD. Windows was installed to the SSD (fresh install?} then the original HDD was placed into a caddy, then inserted into the ODD bay.

The controller chip that is connected to the ODD may not work with HDD due to the signals that HDD uses to signal "ready" and ODD is a "on demand" drive.

Most HDD sleds (caddy) that are generic and have dip switches or jumpers should have a manual of some type, otherwise I would not use it.

Hope that helps a bit.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Options

60 Posts

08-14-2014

Pakistan

96 Signins

426 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2017-03-25, 18:53 PM

I have tried uninstalling the SATA device from the device manager and then restarted the Computer

Lenovo some how then started showing the HDD from the Caddy, after 20minutes it was gone once again.

I dont think Lenovo G510 Supports HDD Caddys

Options

2400 Posts

11-07-2014

United States of America

1534 Signins

24216 Page Views

• Views: 24216
  • Message 7 of 7

2017-03-26, 16:03 PM

Most notebooks do not support generic (blacklisted) hardware...  If your trying to use a non-Lenovo part this could be part of the issue.  Using a generic caddy that has an unknown switch without any support documentation to show what the switch is for is also going to complicate things.

Most of the time, unless the notebook is designed from the ground up to support dual disk drives (HDD and SSD) or supports installing a second drive into the ODD bay, you will find a caddy listed in the "Parts List" of the maintenance manual.  The manual for your notebook is available to download from the support tab of this website.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)