cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eiapoce
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,091
Message 1 of 16

Lenovo G510 switching graphics tests and issues.

Hello. 

I just bought a Lenovo G510 equipped with a i5 4200M and a discrete Radeon 8750M graphic card. As most technically savvy users already complained it is apparently impossible to get the radeon card to work properly on this laptop. I've been working several years as hardware technician and costumer support and I honestly find unbelievable that Lenovo could bring a unsupported laptop to the market! 

I'm posting after 3 (three) days of testing various configurations of software and drivers and software in order to help others sort the thing out. 

First of all some references to the sites that you can find drivers on: 

Lenovo official driver section for the G510 were you can find the "defective" Lenovo drivers

Leshcat UnifL driver 

Intel's official HD4600 Driver 

AMD official stan alone Radeon Mobile driver  (Partly in Italian, my mothertoungue) - 

HEAVEN Benchmark for testing the configurations

GPU Z for looking at driver's info and monitoring the cards.

I've been using Windows 7 Home and the preinstalled environment that's Windows 8.1 - both 64bit. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to test Windows 8 wich according to another post looks like the only operating system that can run the Radeon Card. All test are made running the HEAVEN Benchmark from unigine at its default settings

After running a series of tests I come to the conclusions that the G510 RUNS BETTER WHEN YOU REMOVE THE "DEFECTIVE" RADEON DRIVERS. And when I write defective i mean that they are unoptimized by any standard.

On Windows 8.1 the hightest attainable score is 395 points using intel's driver 10.18 (latest) and without installing the radeon drivers. The lowest score is 306 points and it comes from the "out of the box" experience by lenovo (shame on you). 

On Windows 7 Home SP1 the hightest score is 399 points using Intel's 9.18 driver and without installing Radeon drivers at all. The score using UnifL drivers is 313 and again it's quite similar to using Lenovo drivers. 

Dubts and conclusions:
Using the notorious GPU Z tool in monitoring mode there is a apparent use of the radeon card when selected games and heaven are run. But empirical evidence demonstrates that the performances are better when the radeon drivers are not installed. 

At current time I advice you to remove the catalist drivers. I hope that lenovo addresses this post as soon as possible in order to clarify the situation. It is apparent from a page on the AMD website that notebooks with swtichable graphics are NOT SUPPORTED under windows 8.1 and need a proprietary driver. And yes I choose this laptop because of its raw CPU power and dedicatet GPU wich I intend to use on Photoshop, so I am waiting for Lenovo to offer a solution to this problem.

P.S. If you have a lenovo G510 that could be interesting to take a look at your Heaven Score. Anything more than 400 could mean that the radeon is working adeguately.

ADDENDUM: It is possible to disable the AMD graphic card from the BIOS. I tried this option selecting "UMA Graphic" and the laptop froze on the next boot. I didn't insist on this solution as the aim of the trials was to operate effectively the Radeon card on the laptop. 
pigulici
Punch Card
Views: 4,052
Message 2 of 16

Re: Lenovo G510 switching graphics tests and issues.

I have too that laptop, but with I7, and for Photoshop too, I have a Windows 7 Sp1 64b Home Premium with all updates at date, after some testing I managed to make work if, after I install Windows, install first Intel chipset driver from Lenovo, second install Intel Rapid Storage driver(or from intel or lenovo), third IMEI(intel management energy) driver from Lenovo, 4 install intel vga driver from Intel site(at me it is Win64_15338.exe), 5 I install ati mobility driver from amd site(latest stable, 13.12), after that all the rest of drivers in any order(for lan I found 2.1.0.21 vers on some french site); I tested with latest 3dmark steam version, it detect as primary vga and use the amd card(Cloud Gate 7471points, with graphic score of 8795 with 38fps,  http://www.3dmark.com/cg/1286774), also monitoring with last Gpuz, I find that in Photoshop CC, Sacred 2 Gold game, Torchlight 2 game, the card it is use it, I don't know if Heaven it is optimized for that amd card...anyway I think(at least on win 7) the drivers ar still not mature... 

Shlomo68
What's DOS?
Views: 4,044
Message 3 of 16

Hello,

probably I have the same problem too.

Is there a way to disable the intel graphic card and use only the AMD card?

pigulici
Punch Card
Views: 4,040
Message 4 of 16

From what I found, no, you can not disable the intel vga, to use only amd card all time, opposite you can(from bios), and that way, it is now, I find it is the right one for a laptop...

eiapoce
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,024
Message 5 of 16

I tried also disabling the AMD from the bios. But with no success. On the next reboot windows froze and I discontinued it.... the point would be: how to make it run! And I am still puzzled. In a couple of days I'm getting a new harddrive and I am going to try to install as you suggested. Hope this works as I need the power for photoshop on the move.
pigulici
Punch Card
Views: 4,022
Message 6 of 16

Well, for me it was google and try and error, after each driver install, reboot, I just replaced the shdd with a ssd and more ram, for Photoshop...

Kalenz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,009
Message 7 of 16

It would be nice to have a reply from a moderator or somebody who has some sort of official position... Because honestly, buying a brand new laptop and finding this kind of issues on it is something unbelievable. This was my first Lenovo purchase, and it's bound to be the last if this doesn't get addressed.

Kalenz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,971
Message 8 of 16

Any update on this?

eiapoce
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,957
Message 9 of 16

@pigulici wrote:

I have too that laptop, but with I7, and for Photoshop too, I have a Windows 7 Sp1 64b Home Premium with all updates at date, after some testing I managed to make work

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOPE. I just followed your steps. And I've got a usual score with che Heaven Benchmark. That's in line with the previous benchmarks I've been taking with the AMD drivers enabled. 

I suggest you benchmark your system again, this time after uninstalling the Catalist drivers altogheter. You're likely to get a performance boost. If you do please report here the results. I also advice if possibile to run the Heaven Benchmark at default settings so we all can have a common reference benchmark.

pigulici
Punch Card
Views: 3,951
Message 10 of 16

So you tried on clean windows 7 install, not a windows 7 uninstalled drivers?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors