cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenlappy
Paper Tape
Views: 1,483
Message 1 of 2

Lenovo G550 - Upgrade to Samsung EVO 850 SSD?

Can I upgrade my G550 laptop Samsung EVO 850 SSD SATA III, it says SATA III? Moreover, I have copied my data to external drive and would like to do fresh installation of windows 7 using Windows 7 ISO File download, it says your product key indicates OEM installation of windows 7, please contact your service provider about recovery options. What should I do?

Any help is appreciated as I want to run Ubuntu and Windows 7 side by side.

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,453
Message 2 of 2

Re: Lenovo G550 - Upgrade to Samsung EVO 850 SSD?

@lenlappy wrote:

Can I upgrade my G550 laptop Samsung EVO 850 SSD SATA III, it says SATA III? Moreover, I have copied my data to external drive and would like to do fresh installation of windows 7 using Windows 7 ISO File download, it says your product key indicates OEM installation of windows 7, please contact your service provider about recovery options. What should I do?

Any help is appreciated as I want to run Ubuntu and Windows 7 side by side.

There are some caveats to "dual booting" with Windows 7 or later, ones that could make your system inoperative (hang at BIOS screen).  Would suggest that you make a set of recovery disks before making changes as this is critical to re=install the  OEM partitions if your Dual Boot procedure fails to work and bricks out the system.

Also - I have heard that Linux Mint is the better "debian" version to use when dual booting.  I have been using Mint 17.2 for several months now and love it.  Would say to post on their forum for best answers on setting up a "dual boot" with Windows 7.

Cheers.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors