Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo B and G Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

15 Posts

10-13-2013

Romania

15 Signins

211 Page Views

• Views: 211
  • Message 1 of 5

Lenovo G550 Wi-Fi driver complaint and Windows 8.1 porting

2013-10-13, 10:03 AM

Hello!

It's my first message on this board and I hope that I've got the right place to post in, as I've seen other subjects regarding the g550 on this board.

I've read the threads regarding using Windows 8 and it's drivers, and also the problems with the wi-fi driver - it's incapability of delivering good service - problems with a "weak signal".

Let me put it this way:

1. Right now I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and as my wi-fi driver I use the one the system provided when I installed it, that is : win7_64driver.png

So far, this is the best wi-fi driver available, which gets me the best network discovery( I see about 10 available wi-fi networks using this).

2. When installing the driver provided on the Lenovo Driver Site, which is broadcom 32-bit/64-bit combined driver, the number of networks which I can connect to via wi-fi decreases from 10 to only 2 networks, one of them being from my nearby router! This is inacceptable in my opinion! Now, the network speed may not differ to much, but the driver clearly lacks some functionality, since it can only see 2 instead of 10 networks - from the same location!

Now, for Windows 7 x64 things are good, I just stick to the windows provided driver ( 4.176.75.21) and I can use the wi-fi with no problems everywhere, at a good rate of functionality and performance!

My problems lie right now when changing to Windows 8 64-bit version, more precissely 8.1. I have done some experiments with this, and aside from the wi-fi problem, which I can no longer correct, all seems to be fine and I am quite happy with how my sistem runs on win8 64-bit.

The problem:

a) When running with the Win8 provided driver, the networks are few, just as using the lenovo driver, or even worse - only one network available - that from my router - located 100cm near my laptop! No other networks available... VERY BAD.

b) When installing the same win7 32/64 bit driver on win8, which actually works without compatibility problems - I get the same results as installing on the windows 7 configuration: 2 networks present, from the same location.

I have read on the forums, that it may be a chance that lenovo will provide windows 8 drivers for g550, but if they work the same as the current drivers for win7, they will be of no use, at the rate of performance provided. Can someone do something about this, i.e. provide better drivers, look into this problem?

I also tried to trick win8 and port the win7 64 driver to windows 8, by extracting the driver from the iso file or from windows 7 installed driver location ( got an .inf and a .sys file) but finally, I don't manage to install it in Windows 8, even with the "Have Disk..." option, where it ultimately tells me that it isn't a win8 64-bit supported driver. (No signed driver problems or messages appearing).

Now, as a solution for this, I would appreciate if someone could reccomend me one of the following:

1) either a way to make the lenovo driver work better, to configure it somehow, or to provide another driver for win 7-64 that also can be run on win 8 ( which it should be), that has good performance

2) provide me with a modality to "port" the current win7 driver which currently works the best with my Broadcom wi-fi to windows 8.1 64-bit.

Thanks for following this!

Answer
Options

15 Posts

10-13-2013

Romania

15 Signins

211 Page Views

Re: Lenovo G550 Wi-Fi driver complaint and Windows 8.1 porting

2013-10-16, 8:05 AM

Ok, I have solved my problems, this topic may be closed, as far as I'm concerned. 

I will leave here the method in which I acted, so that any other person who faces the same problem will be aided by this guide. 

Here is what I've done: 

1) Ported the wireless driver from windows7 - that came on the original dvd - copied three files: two .inf files and one sys file, I think - can't remember exactly. Anyway, you can use some driver export software and select your driver and it will automatically detect and preserve the needed driver files. I have the files saved and if someone needs them, pm me, and I will tell you which files they are exactly, or send them. 

2) Once I had the drivers from win7, I got into my windows 8.1 install, and accessed the "Advanced Startup Options", which has an option available to select some special features on the next restart -> you click on restart, and then the advanced features appear. 

3) Select the 'disable driver signature verification' from the advanced startup options, once they show up, after the restat. This is needed in order to not get errors which won't allow you to install the win7 driver. 

4) Just go to device manager, update driver, have disk option, select your .inf and there you go, just some prompts about the driver's lack of a signature, and you're ready, you can install the driver with no problem. 

In my case, it worked perfectly! 

I also did this with other win7 drivers, and it also worked. 

Tip: 

If you have problems and the drivers still don't work, check the .inf file, it may need some modifications. 

See if it has an NTAMD4 6.2 section( that is for win8) and if it doesn't, or if that section contains no lines, just create it or update it by pasting the same lines that you see under the 6.0 or 6.1 sections also to the 6.2 section. Then, the have disk method will work, for installing your desired driver under windows 8.1. 

I think this may be helpful for a lot of situations, not only for this specific driver and laptop model, but for most driver compatibility isssues users find. 

Replies(4)
Options

73 Posts

08-28-2013

London

218 Signins

1925 Page Views

• Views: 1925
  • Message 2 of 5

2013-10-14, 3:36 AM

Hi coffeeplus.

This is not a solution, But Microsoft is about to launch the full version of win8.1 on the 17 of this month.

Hopefully the release will have ironed out any bugs in previous versions of the drivers & will fix your hardware problems.

Also you have posted in the correct section & Welcome to the forum.

Catt

Options

15 Posts

10-13-2013

Romania

15 Signins

211 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2013-10-14, 6:20 AM

Catt, 

as far as I know, I am already using windows 8.1, although the official release is October 17. 

I have got it through my university's microsoft-student-partner program, via an online "store", and the product clearly did not state "preview", but "professional". I think it's been available earlier through these kind of sources. 

So, I don't think there will be other fixes from the Windows side of the problem. 

Updating the wi-fi driver through windows doesn't solve the problem - currently, both on win 7 and on win 8, an update is offered, I think I tried them both, but with no performance improvement, as I mentioned. 

Answer
Options

15 Posts

10-13-2013

Romania

15 Signins

211 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2013-10-16, 8:05 AM

Ok, I have solved my problems, this topic may be closed, as far as I'm concerned. 

I will leave here the method in which I acted, so that any other person who faces the same problem will be aided by this guide. 

Here is what I've done: 

1) Ported the wireless driver from windows7 - that came on the original dvd - copied three files: two .inf files and one sys file, I think - can't remember exactly. Anyway, you can use some driver export software and select your driver and it will automatically detect and preserve the needed driver files. I have the files saved and if someone needs them, pm me, and I will tell you which files they are exactly, or send them. 

2) Once I had the drivers from win7, I got into my windows 8.1 install, and accessed the "Advanced Startup Options", which has an option available to select some special features on the next restart -> you click on restart, and then the advanced features appear. 

3) Select the 'disable driver signature verification' from the advanced startup options, once they show up, after the restat. This is needed in order to not get errors which won't allow you to install the win7 driver. 

4) Just go to device manager, update driver, have disk option, select your .inf and there you go, just some prompts about the driver's lack of a signature, and you're ready, you can install the driver with no problem. 

In my case, it worked perfectly! 

I also did this with other win7 drivers, and it also worked. 

Tip: 

If you have problems and the drivers still don't work, check the .inf file, it may need some modifications. 

See if it has an NTAMD4 6.2 section( that is for win8) and if it doesn't, or if that section contains no lines, just create it or update it by pasting the same lines that you see under the 6.0 or 6.1 sections also to the 6.2 section. Then, the have disk method will work, for installing your desired driver under windows 8.1. 

I think this may be helpful for a lot of situations, not only for this specific driver and laptop model, but for most driver compatibility isssues users find. 

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

15 Posts

10-13-2013

Romania

15 Signins

211 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2013-10-17, 10:48 AM

Additional problems may show up to the solution provided: 

As you have to disable signature checks for drivers, the solution works well for installing them - but I think that in some cases ( or maybe all of them) the problems will reappear once you reboot your system into a normal session, without signature checking disabled. Then, the 'problematic' driver may be stopped for working by the windows system, although it will show up as being there - and the device will have a yellow warning sign attached to it's icon in device manager. 

Now, I don't have the antidote for this, but I am into solving this problem. I have seen many workarounds for it, and the simplest cure seems to be preserving the "driver signature verification" state to "disabled". I have checked and tried some of the proposed solutions, but haven't really found one that satisfies me. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms