cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RWessels
Paper Tape
Views: 1,658
Message 1 of 5

Lenovo G550 on Windows 10 Pro can't install / update display driver. Resolution adjustment disabled

Good day all

I have installed Windows 10 Pro 64-bit on an old Lenovo G550. It used to work well on Windows 7, but now I cannot install or update the display drivers in order to connect an external display (LG 49" TV) at 1920 x 1080.

Windows installed its own useless drivers that obtains at least 1366 x 768 on both the laptop and the TV when displays are duplicated. Then the highest I can go is 1366 x 768. When I select "Show only on 2" (which is essentially what I want to do), it goes down to an even worse display resolution, but this also disables the Resolution drop-down. 

I have downloaded every version of drivers know to God and man from Lenovo's and other sites, but all of them tells me: "This computer does not meet the minimum requirement for installing software." I have deleted the driver and reinstalled via "Scan for hardward changes" as well. I have done a Windows update as well. I have no idea what to do next.

How do I fix this stupid problem? Please help me.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards

Renier

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,616
Message 2 of 5

Re: Lenovo G550 on Windows 10 Pro can't install / update display driver. Resolution adjustment disab

Did you try installing the drivers using admin permissions? If not, right click on the driver .exe file and choose compatibility settings, look for and select "Run as Administrator" then apply for all users. Try re-installing the drivers for your hardware and post back with results.

If you have not identified all hardware is running correctly, try using device manager and look for unknown devices. If you look into the properties of the unknowns, you can use the settings dialog / windows to find the hardware ID and google it for a list of known drivers.

Keep us posted, we will help as we can.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
RWessels
Paper Tape
Views: 1,593
Message 3 of 5

Re: Lenovo G550 on Windows 10 Pro can't install / update display driver. Resolution adjustment disab

Hi CB

Thank you for your reply. 

I did try running them as Admin. All of them (4 to be exact) all returned the message "your system does not meet the minimum requirements...blah blah blah".

All devices are known. All installed. Also tried 3 driver programs that all said the latest and best drivers are installed. 

But my resolution is still bad.

Would appreciate a concrete solution.

Kind regards

Renier

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,553
Message 4 of 5

What version of Windows 10 are you running - it can make a difference between 32bit and 64bit when you are installing drivers.  IE - Trying to install a 32bit driver on a Windows 10 64bit system will return error messages similar to what you are seeing.

Also - Windows 10 will only use drivers that have been certified to run using it's requirements.  That means that some drivers that are legacy (for Windows 7) will not work on Windows 10.  Essentially when Windows 10 checks the installing driver for compliance and it fails, it will not allow it to be installed, and will load it's own version - usually a less capable driver - instead.

Best way to tell is check what version of windows you are using (32bit vs 64bit) and try the drivers that match.  If still fails, then I would send a note to the Windows Support staff with the situation to see if they can be a bit more helpful with a work around.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
SeniorGuru
Views: 1,532
Message 5 of 5

Editing my response a bit....

To determine what version of sindows that is installed on your computer, you can search for "System" in cortana and look thru the supplied answers for "About this PC" to display the information regarding the operating system version and if it is 32bit or 64bit.

Once determiend you can then look into downloading the right drivers and try installing them again.  If it still fails to install, you can try downloading drivers from the graphics manufacture instead of using the ones supplied on Lenovo support site.  Just make sure to download the correct ones.  *intel, AMD, nVidia*

CB

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors