Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gbueno832
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,866
Message 1 of 15

Lenovo G550 processor upgrade

I am upgrading a Lenovo G550 that I purchased a few years ago for my wife. So far I was able to install 8GB or RAM and a 500GB HDD with no issues. However when I tried to upgrade the processor, the laptop would not power up. It will turn on and the lights will indicate that the HDD is on and the battery is on, but I do not get the Lenovo splash screen. I hear my fan going but nothing happens. Only a black screen. I purchased an Intel Core 2 Duo processor P7550 (2.26GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 3MB L2 Cache) based on the speciation sheet below. I was wondering if anyone might know where I could find any documentation that specifically lists what CPUs are compatible with the Lenovo G550. Ideally I'd like to install the best processor it will take. Thank you.

http://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/content/pdf/notebooks/Essential/G-Series/G550%20Datasheet.pdf

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 9,859
Message 2 of 15

Re: Lenovo G550 processor upgrade

hi gbueno832,

Welcome to the Forums.

The P7550 CPU that you purchased, was that taken out from another Lenovo G550 machine? If no then this is likely the problem as only specific processor FRU's are allowed in the BIOS (whitelist).

In addition, is your G550 model (e.g., 2958-3BU) listed in this pdt datasheet?

I've looked into the specs and the G550 model uses either an Intel PM45Intel GM45, or an Intel GL40 chipset and a compatible CPU for an upgrade will be dependent on these chipset. To check what chipset you have, you will need to put back the original CPU and use tools utility tools like HWINFO.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

gbueno832
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,848
Message 3 of 15

Based on your recommendation, I installed the HWINFO software and determined that my laptop has the Intel GM45 chipset installed. I also verified that the Intel P7550 is compatible with this laptop. However we decided to go ahead and purchase a Intel Core 2 Extreme Mobile QX9300 since this machine will be used for work purposes. Once this new processor is installed I will post my findings. Thank you again very much for your assistance. It is greatly appreciated.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 9,839
Message 4 of 15

hi there,

I haven't seen a G550 with a Intel Core 2 Extreme Mobile QX9300 CPU but if you bought it working from a G550 laptop or it has a lenovo FRU on it then it may work (it'll also good if you can return the item just in case it doesn't work).

In addition, take note that the QX9300 has a max TDP of 45W, whereas the CPU's listed in this pdt datasheet are only 35W so the motherboard might not take the heat if the QX9300 reaches it's peak usage.

Also, I've looked into some additional details and these are the CPU's that are tested to work with the G550.

G550 Tested CPU.jpg

More info:

Lenovo G550 CPU upgrade

Goodluck!

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

gbueno832
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,801
Message 5 of 15

I appreciate all of your help so far. My apologies for taking so long to reply, I had to wait for parts. You were absolutely correct the QX9300 did not work in the laptop. Based on the chart you posted in your previous comment, I went ahead and purchased a brand new Intel T9800 CPU. However, I'm still running into the problem where the laptop will not POST after I power on. The power and battery button light up, but a few seconds later the laptop just shuts down. I put the old CPU back into the laptop and it powers on just fine.  As far as I can tell I've already updated the BIOS to the latest available version for a 64-bit OS.   I did notice that the BIOS Version is 18CN44WW (V2.53) while the EC Version is 18EC35WW (V2.52). Could this be the reason the laptop would not POST with the new processor? Thank you.

gbueno832
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,755
Message 6 of 15

My apologies I forgot to include this in an earlier response.  My laptop is a Lenovo G550 model: 2958, there is no dash or any additional numbers after that. Below is a screeshot from HW Info. Please advise if the Intel T9800 CPU will work or if there is something else that I need to do in order to upgrade the CPU. Thank you.

g550.JPG

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 9,722
Message 7 of 15

hi there,

That screenshot is stating that you have a GL40 motherboard chipset (Northbridge).

Intel GL40 chipset specifications

You can verify this by using AIDA 64 Extreme or similar utility.

- Sample image

I'm afraid the T9800 CPU will work only on a GM45 motherboard chipset (Northbridge).

You can read more info in this thread.

Regards

gbueno832
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,659
Message 8 of 15

Thank you very much, that did it. I went back and purchased one of the dual core CPUs on the list and the laptop is now running much better. I really appreciate all your help.

samreenv
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 9,132
Message 9 of 15

Hi gbueno832,

I read your posts,and they were of great help.

I am trying to upgrade RAM and HDD in my laptop G550. I understand that you updraded the RAM and HDD in G550 before upgrading the CPU, and it was running fine. May I ask which CPU you had? I have T4400. I checked the Data sheet in your initial post. T4400 is not in the list. but my laptop came with it. Now I don't know if this CPU will support 8Gb RAM and upgrade in HDD or not? Can you please help me here?

gbueno832
Fanfold Paper
Views: 8,995
Message 10 of 15

samreenv,

My sincerest apologies for not replying sooner. I should stress that I'm not a technician but simply an end user. In my case I I installed the HWINFO software and from this I determined the chipset installed on the Lenovo G550 I was working on. My recommendation would be to start here. Once you determine your chipset, then you can reference the specific chipset specifications from the Lenovo website. This will then tell you which processors will be compatible with your motherboard.  Again, I apologize for the lateness of my reply, I hope this helps.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors