Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nolala504
Paper Tape
Views: 415
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo G560 0679 CPU Upgrade 2019

I have a Lenovo G560 with an Intel HM55 Express Chipset, version 2.12 of BIOS, a Pentium P6200 CPU, and no dedicated graphics. I also have a brain-full of forum knowledge, lol. My EXACT question is this...

Can I upgrade my CPU to an Intel Core i7-640M?

According to my research, this processor is the fastest, best processor that is compatible with my computer's chipset, and I understand that some have already tried to use this processor only to find that it does not work. But since it is a semi-new year, and I'm not even sure if I have the latest BIOS yet, I want to try to upgrade in order to have a long term laptop. I've seen on some forums that the CPU didn't work, but the forums were dated. I've also seen that the lenovo G560 sometimes came with a dedicated graphics card from AMD/NVidia (although my PC does not have this), could this be a possible compatibility issue? Lenovo says the G560 can accept an i5-520M. But I don't see a reason it shouldn't work, except for a possible BIOS whitelist. But even then, I have seen on another dated forum that lenovo does whitelist WLAN cards, but not CPUs.

Guru
Views: 363
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo G560 0679 CPU Upgrade 2019

Hi there!

I've seen other users on the forums confirm that an upgrade to an i3 or an i5 works fine, but no one upgrading to an i7 yet. 

Lenovo does list the i7-620M on its parts list, so I would assume the i7-640M should work also since they use the same socket. To be safe though, go with the i7-620M as that is officially listed on the parts list. 

Annotation 2019-04-21 210839.jpg

Make sure that you are sourcing your processor from a place that accepts returns if the part doesn't work. 

Hope that helps!

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

nolala504
Paper Tape
Views: 351
Message 3 of 6

Thank you for the fast reply on Easter Sunday.

I checked the specs of the 620M and while it is not he best compared to the 640M, it is definately an upgrade to the Pentium P6200. The only question I have for you is where that part list came from. I have the G560 0679, and according to forums, there are multiple variations of the G560.

Guru
Views: 346
Message 4 of 6

It's from here: https://download.lenovo.com/UserFiles/UserGuide/en/User's%20guides%20and%20manuals/G460-G560/Lenovo%...

Lenovo groups all the different models together into one HMM document. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

Highlighted
nolala504
Paper Tape
Views: 341
Message 5 of 6

Thank you sir, I will try this i7.

I did research and it looks like this is the best processor for the G560, SO THEY SAY...  I will let you know if the upgrade works out, as a future answer for all those other people out there looking to upgrade an old computer.

nolala504
Paper Tape
Views: 274
Message 6 of 6

GREAT NEWS!! IT WORKS... The I7-620M works in my motherboard. Thank you sir for your help and advice. Although the CPU runs a little bit on the hot side, the fan still keeps up.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors