Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dwatson251
Paper Tape
Views: 2,440
Message 1 of 12

Lenovo G565 OEM Installation Disk

Hi, quite recently my original hard drive that came with the purchase of my Lenovo G565 laptop failed, and eventually stopped working, all attempt to backup data or even create a recovery disk using the lenovo one click recovery software failed.

I replaced the hard drive, but as with all hard drives, the disk was blank.

I was wondering if it would be possible to obtain an OEM recovery disk for my laptop so I can get using it again?

I also noticed there is a CD key underneath my laptop, but at the time I checked, was not the same as my OEM serial key, is there perhaps anyway I could use this for a retail copy of Windows I download off the internet? I can provide the serial number of the laptop if needed.

pagroundhog
802.11n
Views: 2,409
Message 2 of 12

Re: Lenovo G565 OEM Installation Disk

Hello,

In my case, I used a legally downloaded version of the windows 7 iso and the key (on the bottom of my laptop) was accepted during the clean installation; however, I was given 3 days to "activate" the installation by Microsoft. So, when Microsoft prompted me to activate, I followed their instructions to do it via the telephone and it worked.

Now, this activation via telephone is fully automated and takes about 10 minutes to complete. The activation process is basically you reading a bunch of numbers to Microsoft and, if correctly done, they read a bunch of numbers (e.g., the new activation key) back to you for insertion into a bunch of response blocks on the screen.

Good luck!

Dwatson251
Paper Tape
Views: 2,402
Message 3 of 12

Thank you for the reply, I will try this out. The serial key on the bottom of my laptop is a little rubbed off so it's going to require some guess work but hopefully I'll get there in the end.

Dwatson251
Paper Tape
Views: 2,390
Message 4 of 12

Hi again, I've managed to install a legit copy of Home Premium on the machine but skipped the product key step. The key under my laptop is rubbed off but I can see or guess all but one or two characters. Is there a piece of software that can "guess" the rest of the characters for me or will I have to contact Microsoft?

pagroundhog
802.11n
Views: 2,389
Message 5 of 12

Hello,

If you can't read the license key on the bottom of your laptop, you can download this nifty little program to extract it from your pc into a text file; thereby, eliminating the need for a magnifying glass:

http://directedge.us/content/abr-activation-backup-and-restore

Just make sure you download the windows 7 beta version > click on ABRbeta.exe > open the newly created folder named ABR > click on activation_backup.exe > open the newly created file named backup-key.txt and your current key should be there.

I tested this on my own laptop and it gave me back the exact same key that was labeled on the bottom of my laptop.

Now, bear in mind that you will still (probably) have to activate this via microsoft via the phone after your install is completed.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Dwatson251
Paper Tape
Views: 2,384
Message 6 of 12

It's only giving me the "temporary" key Windows puts in if you skip the product key step during the installation, this has been the case for all of the serial key recovery programs I've used.

Remember this was a blank hard drive with no trace of any existing legit copy of Windows installed so there should really be a serial key on the hard drive to recover from. Smiley Sad

pagroundhog
802.11n
Views: 2,383
Message 7 of 12

Hello again,

I see my advice for key recovery came a bit after you did the wipe clean/install so I don't know if it will work "after the fact"; however, you can try it anyway; no harm done.

Also, you may be able to activate your installation, via their automated phone system without the key so go to Control Panel > System and at the bottom of this page should be your activation status. Now if it says something like you have 3 days to activate, then click the link and try it via the phone. I'm guessing it might work.

pagroundhog
802.11n
Views: 2,382
Message 8 of 12

Sorry for that mistake. I guess I didn't read your post thoroughly enough.

Dwatson251
Paper Tape
Views: 2,376
Message 9 of 12

Unfortunately it only gives me two options:
Activate Online Now or Ask me later. Will the phone option pop up when I have less days to activate?
pagroundhog
802.11n
Views: 2,374
Message 10 of 12

I don't know but Activate Online Now sounds like a good thing to try (now).

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors