Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shaggdv
What's DOS?
Views: 32,742
Message 11 of 22

Re: Lenovo G570 Processor Upgrade

I have a Lenovo G570 Essentials with Intel Celeron B800 @ 1.5 ghz (socket G2/sandy bridge/video HD 2000) and I've changed it to an Intel Core i3 2330M @ 2.2ghz (same socket, G2/sandy bridge/video HD 3000)...

It worket perfectly until I've installed the integrated video card (HD 3000). After I installed it and restarted the computer, the screen was full of artifacts (many pink dots all over the display)... I tried hard to repair it (installed may video drivers, installed windows 2 times, I pull the processor and put it again with new paste...) but no "good response"
==>> the same pink dots (artifacts)..

How can I manage this problem? What should I do? Is there any solving to this? I think that the laptop is fabricated to work only with celeron? (voltage, bios etc.)? How can I change them?

Thank you alot and I hope there will be a response!
Voicu
oskiaqua
Blue Screen Again
Views: 14,223
Message 12 of 22

Hello,i also have this problem.I have a i3.I can upgrade to an i7?which i7 processor I can use on my g570 motherboard?i have to buy another motherboard? and a graffic card?Smiley Frustrated

phadeon escribió:
Hello Guys, I decided to upgrade my lovely laptop instead of buying a new one. I upgraded my ram to 8 gb and hdd to ssd. I also want to upgrade my processor but could not find a proper answer about "which i7 processor I can use on my g570 motherboard" I'll be the happiest man if someone helps me with this issue... Thanks a lot.
@Duck3 @yigit @teteboy25 @phadeon
phogz
What's DOS?
Views: 9,405
Message 13 of 22

Hi, i have Lenovo G570 Intel Pentium CPU B940@ 2.00GHz with 2GB RAM. can i upgrade it to i3 or i5 processor & 4GB RAM? Because im planning to upgrade my laptop instead of buying a new one. Hoping for your response. thanks.

SpeedyGonzalez
Paper Tape
Views: 1,831
Message 14 of 22

Hi, im kind of new to the upgrading laptop and pc world and need a little help.

when upgrading the ssd and ram it's usually just a straight swap of parts but the cpu requires an update of bios is this correct?

how do I make the cpu compatible through the bios system.

A simple step by step guide would be very helpful.

Thanks modding world!!

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,814
Message 15 of 22

There is never a straight path for upgrading notebook computers.... It really depends on the socket type, the chipset and even the system board itself.
IE - if the socket is a BGA or Ball Grid Array, chances are good that the chip is soldered to the motherboard and not upgradeable.

The best way to determine what uprades are possible to your specific hardware would be to contact support by phone, they can look up your serial number to show exactly what system board is installed, and also advise what CPU is supported (if possible).

Cheers...

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
SpeedyGonzalez
Paper Tape
Views: 1,809
Message 16 of 22

Thanks for the advice, i will try that. 

I did a little research and found that my board is hm65 and i currently have an i3-2350m installed. It is a PPGA988 (G2) socket. The intel website shows that the i7-2640m is the same socket with the same TDP and other stuff but im  not sure if the i7 cpu will work if i just pop it in. 

I will check with the support team but if anyone has done this or a similar upgrade I would love to hear a reply in the meantime. 

Thanks again

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,787
Message 17 of 22

You will need your Maintenance Manual, a set of good screwdrivers (small sizes) and some plastic cups to hold the screws. Also - I use some high quality alcohol pads to remove the thermal past from the CPU / Heatsink. A good thermal paste like Artic Silver is also on the list of needed supplies.

1. Quality screwdrivers with magnetic tips are hard to find, but worth the price.
2. Use cups (small condiment cups) to hold the screws removed.
3. Take pictures of screw locations, mark cups to reference when putting them back.
4. Once screws / panels removed to expose CPU / Heat Sink Fan (HSF) then refer to manual for removal tips, and carefully loosen HSF screws and remove.
5. Remove thermal paste from CPU and exposed underside of heatskink,
6. Remove CPU, replace with new CPU. Wipe new CPU off with alcohol pad, wait to dry then apply thremal paste per manufacture instructions.
7. Replace HSF, tighten screws in crossing pattern.
8. Reassemble panels, goal is not to have extra screws left.
9. Double and triple check before power up, press switch and wait.

If all goes well, your machine will start up and let you know a new CPU was installed, may require entry into BIOS to set defaults to get it properly synced up.

Good luck.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
SpeedyGonzalez
Paper Tape
Views: 1,768
Message 18 of 22

Hi guys,

Thanks everybody for your help.

I managed to successfully install an i7-2640m in my G570.

Everything seems to be working fine however there is one concern. 

The cpu speed fluctuates like mad and the fan almost never stops.

the cpu temp is normal around low-mid 40C on idle but the fan will not stop. 

I put my old cpu back in (i3-2350m) and all is good with stable cpu speeds and a quite fan.

Any advice guys?

Thanks

Kirito24
Paper Tape
Views: 1,753
Message 19 of 22

i have a Lenovo g570 i3 model but i want to upgrade to i5 -460m is it possible?

SeniorGuru
Views: 1,730
Message 20 of 22

Contact support, provide serial number to them via Phone (not on forum) and ask what CPU can be used to upgrade your notebook.

Once you have that information, download your Maintenance Manual from the support tab of this site and read up on how to upgrade the CPU before you dive in.... It can keep you from ending up with a very expensive door stop.

CB

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors