Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kirilko
Paper Tape
Views: 725
Message 1 of 2

Lenovo G580 (20157) CPU Upgrade from Pentium to i7

Hi everyone !

I decided to upgrade my laptop cpu from Pentium B970 to i7 3610qm, so i explored the forum and didn't find though a relevant answer and i decided to ask if someone have or had the same model and upgraded their laptop to that CPU ?

My motherboard has an HM76 Express Chipset so the i7 3610qm is supported, the difference is that i7 3610qm is 45W power but Pentium B970 is 35W, also the cooling system on my laptop is combined for CPU and GPU (that on some forums i find, it says that this TDP package is for 45W CPU's), and another question is may there be some bios block for the i7 CPU ? Because i studied the manual from this link: https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_g480_g485_g580_g585_g780_hmm_v1.0_english.pd...
and there is only i7 3612qm listed there as highest CPU supported. Thank you in advice for your answers and support !

SeniorGuru
Views: 680
Message 2 of 2

Re: Lenovo G580 (20157) CPU Upgrade from Pentium to i7

Even if the chipset supported the CPU you are thinking about, if it is not in the parts listing for your computer it runs a high chance that it will not be accepted by BIOS and the computer will refuse to start.

Best bet is that CPU with the higher TDP is not accepted as the thermal output will exceed the limitations of the cooling provided by the factory heatsink and fan. Also - the power draw for that chip may stress the system and cause issues (BSOD) when it is running at full potential.

Best to stick with the listed CPU's in the manual.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors