Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
psychobacter
Blue Screen Again
Views: 167
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo G580 20157 RAM upgrade help

My lapotp comes with 4GB(1333MHz) system memory. I want to add another 8GB RAM into the second slot and make the system memory a total of 12GB. So I went in and bought this Hynix Pc31-12800s 1600Mhz (Amazon link:- https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B016Z5VB38/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but when I install this in the second slot and use both the RAMs together the system becomes ridiculously slow(Windows 10 takes 15-20 mins to boot and CPU always runs at 100%). However if I only use the 8GB Hynix RAM or the 4GB preinstalled one the system works just fine. So what is the problem here? Crucial's website shows that my laptop supports a maximum of 16GB RAM so why **bleep** I not being able to use both the RAMs together? What can I do to solve this problem?Which RAM config should I install in my laptop?

Below are the screenshot of SPD of CPU-Z for my laptop when both the RAM sticks are insalled

Screenshot (1).pngScreenshot (2).png

SeniorGuru
Views: 117
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo G580 20157 RAM upgrade help

The notebook specifications allow for 8gb total memory to be installed. I have two matching 4gb sticks installed in my G580 and have found it the best option for performance based on the supporting chipset that is on the system board.

Would suggest taking the single 8gb back and purchase matching 4gb sticks if possible. If not possible, just try the 8gb stick as a single and see if that improves it some what.

CB

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
psychobacter
Blue Screen Again
Views: 112
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo G580 20157 RAM upgrade help

Is your machine type 20157 (2689) or are you using another version of G580? Crucial's system scanner tells me that my laptop can support a max of 16GB RAM.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors