Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mootix
Blue Screen Again
Views: 14,882
Message 1 of 3

Lenovo G580 - Boot menu can not find CD/DVD, HDD, or USB's

Hello everyone

I am having a bit of trouble with this G580 lenovo laptop, which can't boot.

Problem: HDD and CD/DVD is visible in info tap in bios, however they are not visible in the boot tap, only EFI network IP4 and IP6 are visible.

I tried switching the HDD at first just to make sure if it would do anything, but did not work, so i switched back.

But i have never seen this kind of issue before, so i actually have no idea what to do.

The bios version installed is V9.01 i hope if anyone have an idea that might help solve this issue.

--Mootix--

Mootix
Blue Screen Again
Views: 14,851
Message 2 of 3

Re: Lenovo G580 - Boot menu can not find CD/DVD, HDD, or USB's

Okay it seems i have resolved my own issue, i will report how and what i did so anyone with the same issue can try this.

Okay so apparently the Bios were setup to only reqister boot devices that had something to do with Windows 8, meaning that the harddrive which was completely empty of any data, had nothing to do with Windows 8 and therefor can't be booted with the current Bios settings.

1. Go to the Security tap and disable "Secure boot" only temp.

2. Go to the Boot tap and change "Boot mode" from UEFI to Legacy Support.

3. In the Boot tap change "Boot prio" to "Legacy First".

4. Reboot and press F2 and check the boot tap for the HDD under "Boot device prio"

Done

I think that since the HDD don't have Win8 installed it will not show as a boot device unless it is on Legacy Support.

Becuz UEFI on the G580 only supports HDD with a installed Win8 OS.

I should now be able to reinstall Win 8 - 8.1 to the HDD.

Jidis
What's DOS?
Views: 3,152
Message 3 of 3

Re: Lenovo G580 - Boot menu can not find CD/DVD, HDD, or USB's

Registered to thank you for this. That's the weird type of crap you can waste all night fighting with but Google brought me here right when I started. Swapped drive showing up fine now on a G50-45 and Windows DVD is now bootable media.

Take Care

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors