Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
youngyboy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,614
Message 1 of 23

Lenovo G580 CPU Upgrade

Hello Smiley Happy 

Just signed up to this forum.... Right I aint computer techy at all really..... but i'm experimental which is probably a horrific combination haha but oh well thats me!

I absolutely love my G580

swapped a sony vaio for it..... because it was blue..... haha but anyway its a cracking laptop and i like it....

im running an intel celeron b830 CPU in this..... 6gb ram and 1tb HDD

I use this for music production, I have a huge library of music saved to it.... right it runs fast all the time.... i look after my wee blue belle

But im convinced she needs a better processor.... because sometimes she lags and freezes when im getting tore into making beats.....

Now im looking on ebay at processors.....

i havent a clue what to buy? so many choices its actually boggling my brain! im reading that the CPU might run and i might fry by motherboard and all sorts of madness lol

So my question is what CPU should i upgrade too and should i also give her an extra wee bit of RAM to go with her new found processor???

and what kind should i go for??

dual core? quad core?

remember im not techy so no confusing replys please

a case of fit this.... do that and do this and you'll solve all your problems and not kill her.... thanx look forward to hear what some of you think and especially what some of you have done

cheers

Youngyboy Smiley LOL

also my windows rating is 5.0

i wanna push her over 6.0 maybe even 7.0 lol

and she was windows 8.... but she was down graded because who on earth wants windows with out a start button???? nah man it wasnt for me lol

youngyboy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,567
Message 2 of 23

Re: Lenovo G580 CPU Upgrade

34 views so far and not one reply.....? Come on lenovo owners a bit of input would be smashing. Or you all having trouble with your keyboards lol
Giorgi625
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,575
Message 3 of 23

Hi, yes this forum is very passive :/ I also asked a question and did not get answer yet, but I think I have an answer for your question. I ahve G585 its on AMD and I wanted to change it on Intel so I was searching for information. how I know this two models are same but the have only differenc in chipsets. 
I found this information shon on iamge on this site, in manual pdf files of our laptops here >>>
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-g-series-laptops/lenovo-g580-no...
I would by 2450M or 3210M

cpu.jpg

youngyboy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,543
Message 4 of 23

Cheers for reply mate! Yeah was thinking i5 2520m or 3210m.... see when you buy a processor brand new and it comes in the box and you get the cooling fan thing with them...? Will lenovo standard fan be ok for these 2 CPU? I was hoping too just open her up insert new CPU and thats it... oh and ive went for 12gb ram as well... really wanted an i7 but ill wait till they come down in price
Giorgi625
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,539
Message 5 of 23

Yes the old cooler will be ok if you are changing only CPU, you must chang cooler only if you ar going to change VGA because lenovo has 2 variatons of coolers for this model one if you have discrete VGA and second if you have integrated VGA which is HD graphics for intel.  
So I don't think that you will need to change Cooler also I had not yet laptop yet(I will get my G585 only on saturday) and I did not bought yet laptop cpu and I don't know if it comes with cooler but I think that you can find only oem cpu-s for laptops, because it is not like Desctop PC where cooler depends only on motherboard, but also on laptop model.
I hope you understand what I mean because I am not natinve english speaker I think I have many errors in text.

PS. If it will not be a problem, I want to ask you to take an image of you laptops Motherboard when you will change cpu, I want to compare it with G585 motherboard, because how I wrote befor I want to get Intel on my G585, beacause AMD is very weak and I hope that this to moleds have same form factor MB.

fan.jpg

Giorgi625
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,537
Message 6 of 23

here on this forum I found thes file you can check some info here http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/3book.pdf
i
t looks like there are some variations of G580 so you must check better which one is yours to know 100% which CPU will work on yours because they have same sockets but maybe bios will not have support of some cpus

youngyboy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,534
Message 7 of 23

How strange... my laptop isn't listed....
lenovo g580
intel b830
1 tb HDD
6 gb Ram
Blue colour

Yeah i can understand you just fine. Dont worry about it lol im scottish we dont do english at the best of times haha

Yeh as soon as my tools come through ill stick a pic up for you mate
youngyboy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,533
Message 8 of 23

Im gonna get the lenovo manual out! As far as im aware its not been modded at all.... but i cannot find it listed.... so time to check the manual and find out what on earth is going on lol
Giorgi625
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,530
Message 9 of 23

look at page 31, there is  version with intel celeron B830, also most of G580 support i5 3210M cpu so it maybe the best choise. 

Giorgi625
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,522
Message 10 of 23

Also look at bottom side of your laptop, maybe part numebr or some info will help you

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors