Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo B and G Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

11-20-2014

2 Signins

22 Page Views

• Message 1 of 6

Lenovo G580 KEYBOARD PROBLEM

2014-11-20, 23:07 PM

GUYS SUDDENLY 1 DAY MY KEYBOARD BEGAN ACTING STRANGE WHENEVER I PRESS THESE BUTTONS THIS HAPPENS. PLS HELP ME FIX IT

QA = a

WS= S

D AND E HIGHLIGHTS  INTO YELLOW AND ORANGE  WHEN I PRESS D

TRF=F

G= ITS OK

H=OK

YUJ= J

]IK= K

OL=L

Q=OK

W=OK

E=OK

R=OK

TR=T

YU=Y

U=OK

I=OK

O=OK

P=OK

Z

X

C

V= ALL FINE

B

N

M

[P;=   ;

[P;= [

]IK= ]

BACKSBACKSPACE  AND \ APPEARS TO TYPE \ AT THE SAME TIME DELETING  IT

Options

3019 Posts

03-15-2014

Bangalore

1126 Signins

57257 Page Views

• Views: 57257
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo G580 KEYBOARD PROBLEM

2014-11-21, 12:22 PM

Hi Phantomlaw0928,

Welcome to Lenovo Community!

As per the query we understood that you are facing the issue with Keyboard on your Lenovo G580.

• Please let us know have you checked with ‘External keyboard’?
  • Have you checked with ‘On Screen Keyboard’?
  • Boot the system into safe mode and check if the issue still persists it that.
  • Check with uninstalling the Keyboard adapter from device manager once.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Hemanth Kumar

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Options

4 Posts

02-19-2015

United States of America

7 Signins

58 Page Views

• Views: 58
  • Message 3 of 6

2015-03-03, 23:50 PM

Hello Hemanth or anyone!

I am having the same issue.  I cleaned my keyboard by spraying Windex on a paper towel then wiping the keys on my Lenovo G570.  Now I have the same issue as the poster above.

Mostly an issue with the qwerty row keys.
Weird that it's the same behavior as the poster ie: Pressing T echos a TR

I can answer your queries, below:

External Keyboard works fine, On Screen Keyboard works fine, Issue persists in safe mode, uninstalled keyboard via device mamanger and issue persists.

I assumed a hardware issue this morning when it didn't clear with the first reboot.  I blew air into the keyboard this morning with no change.

If this is a hardward issue, will it clear after drying?  Or is a component permantley damaged?

Regards,

As per the query we understood that you are facing the issue with Keyboard on your Lenovo G580.

• Please let us know have you checked with ‘External keyboard’?
  • Have you checked with ‘On Screen Keyboard’?
  • Boot the system into safe mode and check if the issue still persists it that.
  • Check with uninstalling the Keyboard adapter from device manager once.

Options

2400 Posts

11-07-2014

United States of America

1534 Signins

24216 Page Views

• Views: 24216
  • Message 4 of 6

2015-03-04, 16:55 PM

Cleaning a computer with windex or any other cleaning solution that contains ammonia is not reccomended as it can cause plastics and rubber items to fail to work properly.  Worse - on LCD and LED screens it can damage them beyond repair.

I would suggest plugging a USB keyboard into one or your USB ports.  If that keyboard works perfectly you may need to send your notebook in for service.

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Options

4 Posts

02-19-2015

United States of America

7 Signins

58 Page Views

• Views: 58
  • Message 5 of 6

2015-03-05, 2:38 AM

Thanks.  Yes, I definately did use Windex Brand cleaner, but I sprayed it onto a paper towel first, just a little to help get the grime off.  I cleaned the screen with the same paper towel and it came out great.  :)

I am using a USB keyboard now.   

I was hoping that maybe I accidentally hit  sequence of keys that changed the keyboard layout.  For example, if you change your keyboard to UK English, pressing Shift-2 echos " double-quotes.  

This Lenovo G570 has served me well over the past few YEARS and maybe time for retirement.  I bought it online via Lenovo Outlet for $200 bucks.

I really didn't soak it and It's only a few keys near qwerty and the behavior is always consistant (pressing t echos tr, never anything else).  I can't really take it apart, but I remember keyboards usually have a membrane below the keys.  Maybe it will dry out or repair itself.

Thanks for your input.  If you have any more ideas, please post them!

Options

2400 Posts

11-07-2014

United States of America

1534 Signins

24216 Page Views

• Views: 24216
  • Message 6 of 6

2015-03-05, 18:47 PM

Yes, you are correct,  the keyboard does have a plasticized membrane under keys, and it can be damaged easily by ammonia, even the smallest amount can kill it.  You may have dodged a bullet with the LCD screen, but even a weak solution of ammonia or a small amount can cause damage.

Best bet is to use an approved cleaning solution (non-water or ammonia based) from a atomizer or sprayer to a lint free rag then use rag to wipe down keyboard and surfaces.  On the screen - ONLY use an approved cleaner to avoid damaging or leaving residue behind.

If your notebook is out of warranty, you will need to replace the keyboard at cost.  If under warranty, check to make sure coverage is not violated by use of cleaner, then send in for repair.  As an alternative, if you are comfortable with hand tools and computer repair you can attempt to replace the keypad yourself, if warranty options are not available.

Time to replace keyboard is about 2 hours for the novice, about 30 minutes for the professional.  Most difficult procedure is keeping track of what screw goes where.

Good luck.

I do not work for Lenovo, I only provide suggestions based on my personal willingness to help others. All advice and comments are based on my experience, and do not reflect Lenovo policy, terms or conditions.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)