Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
psc2350
Fanfold Paper
Views: 920
Message 1 of 6

Lenovo G580 Pentium B960+Samsung 840 ssd=can't run in AHCI mode

I have recently locate a Samsung 840 ssd for my G580.

The magician software says it is not run in AHCI mode.

I can not enter my bios to set up nor know how to set up AHCI in bios.

Is there any way to force it to run in AHCI mode or is it that I don't have the driver.

I have tried the driver on lenovo websites:0qst04ww.exe and 0lah05w8.exe.

They both says: This computer does not meet the minimum requirement...

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 894
Message 2 of 6

Re: Lenovo G580 Pentium B960+Samsung 840 ssd=can't run in AHCI mode

hi psc2350,

You're probably running Windows in compatibility mode. If you're running on a preloaded Windows 8, can try to boot into the BIOS using the UEFI Firmware Settings.

If verified that you're in compatibility mode, follow this guide on how to change it to AHCI. In some cases, you also need to change the startoverride entry to 0 for it to work.

Note:

Ensure you create a recovery drive first and have all of your data backed up before trying the fix above.

Hope this helps

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

psc2350
Fanfold Paper
Views: 874
Message 3 of 6

Like I've mentioned aboved, I can't access bios.

It is lock by a password that is set by lenovo which I heard that lenovo does not want its customer to do these advance settings on their own.

I am running a windows 7 now but the os that comes with it is windows 8

I have read simmilar post that told me to set the registry into 0 and go to bios to turn the option on

Put the issue is I can't access bios

I have open my g580 already

Lenovo put a sticker on one of the screw under the keyboard to ensure the warrenty

I have already annihlated that sticker

So I think I have lose the warrenty

If I send it back to lenovo, will it ask me to pay since I lose my warrenty?

Or, is there any other way to turn the AHCI mode on?

Please help

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 843
Message 4 of 6

hi psc2350,

If the BIOS password was set by the place where you purchased the machine, I recommend you contact them to remove/unlock it. (this happens if the machine is a display model - they might have put this password to secure the system from public use) - this is not the case though if the machine is closed box as there's no BIOS password on these units.

If you updated the BIOS and suddenly got a BIOS password, your issue might be similar to this thread and you may need to contact lenovo on how to go about getting the BIOS password cleared.

As for the warranty, AFAIK, as long as there's no physical/liquid damage on the machine, they'll honor the warranty.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

psc2350
Fanfold Paper
Views: 832
Message 5 of 6

As for the BIOS password:

This computer was purchased by my school and downgraded to windows 7 by my school to fit the SMART techonology, but they did not setup the BIOS password for us.

Ive tried other students laptop they are all the same.

I hypothesize that this imight be done because the techguy updated the BIOS without knowing the effect because the techguy doesnt know much about driver since he didnt even install touchpad driver

Or it might be that the password have come with it from the factory

In this case how do I have lenovo to serviced it by warrenty

should I ask the school for warrenty

That me put in this way:

What document or something prove that I have warrenty?

BTW I have already reinstall windows 7 ultimate

And I dont really need other feature in BIOS

so if I can run AHCI without entering BIOS that would be much desirable

Since, I dont have much time for it to send it to serviced.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 817
Message 6 of 6

hi psc2350

AFAIK, the BIOS password will only appear if someone created it. Though in some rare cases, it may also arise after updating the BIOS. You will need to verify to the techguy from school if he have updated the BIOS for it to be compatible with the SMART technology that the school uses (especially if other computers purchased from the school also have the same symptoms of not being able to access the BIOS due to the password).

For the warranty, you can check the status on this link and you will need to contact lenovo for warranty concerns,

If Windows is installed in compatibility mode, you will need to modify two things. The registry and the BIOS (see this guide), otherwise, you'll just get a BSOD.

Regards.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors