Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
Message 1 of 9 (5,614 Views)

Lenovo G580 cannot access BIOS after installing Ubuntu Fix

Hello,

The Problem:

Recently I installed Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS  to my HDD in UEFI mode. Soon I found out that I could not access the BIOS using F2, but F12 allowed selection of boot device. Reinstalling Windows, I found out that the boot menu still had the Ubuntu entry and I still could not access the BIOS. I searched on the web for a solution and before I could manage to find a proper one, I managed to delete both the ubuntu and windows boot manager boot entries, still locked out of bios. This time I could not boot into any OS, could not access bios using f2 nor access boot menu using f12. Smiley Frustrated

The Solution:

There was one last hope, during boot I noticed that PXE (Boot via ethernet option was still showing).

Note: This solution requires you to update the BIOS. This is a very risky procedure, so proceed with caution. This will also probably void your warranty.

• If you can access boot menu (F12) and want to regain access to the BIOS (F2), boot into Windows 7. Install a bios update for your laptop (specifically for your laptop) available at The Lenovo Support Site. The oldest BIOS (probably for Windows 7) is preffered. If you donot have access to windows 7, perform step 2 and boot into the created ISO by creating a bootable CD or pendrive. Then goto step 11.
  • If you can't access F12 and F2, cannot boot into OS, but can boot via Ethernet (there should be a message about trying Atheros Ethernet PXE Boot during startup), start from step 1. Perform the following steps on a separate working windows computer with a ethernet(LAN) port.

1.  For this solution to work, you need to download the following:

• "The Windows Automated Installation Kit(AIK) for Windows 7"(1.7GB) from Microsoft's website.
  • "Serva" from http://www.vercot.com/~serva/download.html. The non supporter version will be sufficient.
  • BIOS Update (64bit) for your Laptop. Available at the Lenovo Support Site. BIOS for Windows 7 is preffered. Download all the BIOS updates to be sure.
  • bootmgr.exe
  • pxeboot.n12

2.  Install "Windows AIK for Windows 7". In start menu, under "Microsoft Windows AIK" you will find "Deployment Tools Command Prompt". Run it as administrator. Type the commands in order one by one to create a WinPE_amd64.iso.

copype.cmd amd64 c:\winpe_amd64

imagex /mountrw c:\winpe_amd64\winpe.wim 1 c:\winpe_amd64\mount

imagex /unmount c:\winpe_amd64\mount /commit

copy c:\winpe_amd64\winpe.wim c:\winpe_amd64\ISO\sources\boot.wim

oscdimg -n -bc:\winpe_amd64\etfsboot.com c:\winpe_amd64\ISO c:\winpe_amd64\winpe_amd64.iso

3. Connect the LAN port of the working computer to the LAN port of the laptop using an ethernet cable. Start the Laptop. Open "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections" on the working computer, go to the properties of the ethernet connection connected to the laptop, scroll to the bottom, double click Internet Protocol version 4(TCP/IPv4). Click "Use the following IP address". Set IP address to 192.168.1.2, set subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. Leave the rest empty and click on OK. Click on OK to return to network connections, double click the ethernet connection connected to the laptop, click on details, the IPv4 address should read 192.168.1.2. exit the windows.

4.  Extract "Serva" to a folder of choice where modification will not need administrator rights. I am going to use "Desktop\serva\". Replace it with your folder.

5. Create a folder in "Desktop\serva\", name it "root". This will result in "Desktop\serva\root". Run the serva exe file.

6. Click on settings at the bottom of the serva window.

• Set the TFTP tab as below:

tftp.png

• Set the DHCP tab as below:

DHCP.png

7. Click OK. Restart Serva. Close Serva.

8. Under "Desktop\serva\root\WIA_WDS", create a folder WinPE_64. Extract the "c:\winpe_amd64\winpe_amd64.iso" directly to WinPE_64 (not a subfolder). Copy the following to "Desktop\serva\root\WIA_WDS\WinPE_64":

• Desktop\serva\root\WIA_WDS\WinPE_x64\SOURCES\BOOT.WIM
  • Desktop\serva\root\WIA_WDS\WinPE_x64\BOOT\BOOT.SDI
  • bootmgr.exe
  • pxeboot.n12

9. Goto "Desktop\serva\root\pxeserva.cfg\", Open menu.def with notepad and add the following at the bottom of the file:

LABEL   WIA_WDS\WinPE_x64\
   menu label   ^  1) WinPE 3.0, AMD64
   menu		default
   kernel       pxechain.cbt
   append       ::WIA_WDS\WinPE_x64\pxeboot.n12

10. Start, close and restart serva exe file. The laptop (connected to the working computer via ethernet) should boot into a menu with WinPE as an option. Select it and press Enter. WinPE 64 should boot up and a command prompt should be active.

11. Put the BIOS Updates for your laptop in a pendrive root folder.

12. Connect the pendrive to the Laptop and goto the pendrive root directory. Probably E: (Try typing "E:" and press enter). Type the name of the BIOS Update exe file and press enter. If the BIOS update is successful, the laptop should work again normally. If some error is given, try another BIOS Update exe.

This should restore access to F2 and F12 and the laptop should boot normally.Smiley Happy

Blue Screen Again
Message 2 of 9 (5,500 Views)

Re: Lenovo G580 cannot access BIOS after installing Ubuntu Fix

Update: Even in the newest BIOS Update 62cn97ww (for Lenovo G580), Ubuntu causes the same problem. I came across a solution on the internet, that works without having to update the BIOS if Ubuntu can be accessed. To fix it, boot into Ubuntu (should be installed on the system), start Terminal and type in the following commands:

sudo grub-install
sudo efibootmgr -b 0 -B

Reboot and F2 should work. BIOS should be accessible through F12>Tab>Setup also. Ubuntu will boot no more but can probably be fixed.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 3 of 9 (5,377 Views)

Thanks for providing the solution...

but the problem is first i installed only ubuntu 14.04 LTS , after that i tried to goto bios options by pressing F2 key, it was not working. still by pressing F12 i can select the boot menu, so again i formatted all my hard disk and installed windows 10 in my lenovo G580, but still the boot options are not coming..

I had tried to install windows 8 (X64) updated bios to my windows 10 (X64), it was unsuccesful...

please provide me a solution to get enter inti bios menu..

Thanks

kumar2080

Blue Screen Again
Message 4 of 9 (5,322 Views)

Did you try the solution given in the second post? Install ubuntu to HDD. (live boot will probably need extra steps I don't know about...) Then try the commands in the 2nd post in order. Report if you can access the BIOS after that. I am assuming that the BIOS update was unsuccessful. If you are still unsuccessful in accessing the BIOS, I will mention a more complicated method which involves writing the NVRAM of the UEFI by booting into UEFI Shell.
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 5 of 9 (5,291 Views)

By downloading files in below link & installed , the problem had fixed..

Now i am getting bios menu..

Download here:- https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxbnybi2e0bgxh8/BIOS%20-%2062CN40WW.7z

Blue Screen Again
Message 6 of 9 (5,281 Views)

It is a BIOS update file. It is also available on the lenovo support site. Just make sure that if there is an option "allow bios backflash", it is set to enabled. It allows same or older version of the Bios to be installed again. I had left it at default(disabled) and could not flash the BIOS anymore as I had the latest version of BIOS. The method in the 2nd post helped me recover from it. The third method using UEFI shell requires the secure boot to be disabled. Secureboot can be set to enabled for security, it prevents rootkits.
Blue Screen Again
Message 7 of 9 (5,277 Views)

I had mentioned in the first post that the oldest BIOS update is recommended, I was wrong. The latest BIOS provides additional security features like secureboot and is recommended. Though it apparently doesn't have any effect on the ubuntu's bios inaccessibility problem.
Blue Screen Again
Message 8 of 9 (5,161 Views)

Enable Booting into ubuntu without disabling BIOS Setup menu.

To be able to use ubuntu without disabling BIOS setup menu(F2), after installing ubuntu perform the following steps:

1. Run BIOS update.

2. Live boot into Ubuntu ( Do not let windows start ).

3. Mount the EFI FAT partition using gnome-disk-utility (Disks on ubuntu).

4. Open the mounted directory ( hyperlinked in the Disks application ).

5. Copy everything in "EFI/ubuntu/" to "EFI/boot/". Delete the already present "bootx64.efi" in "EFI/boot/".

6. Create a copy of "shimx64.efi" in EFI/boot/ and name it "bootx64.efi".

7. Reboot into BIOS setup menu (F2) and disable Secure Boot. Save and Restart.

8. Select Windows Boot Manager in grub2. Windows will boot and create a "Windows Boot Manager" entry in Boot device selection.

9. Reboot into BIOS setup menu and enable secure boot.

10. In the boot order section in BIOS setup, "Windows Boot Manager" will boot Windows and your internal harddisk's name will boot ubuntu. Arrange accordingly.

11. If you want to select an OS to boot, use the Boot selection menu (F12) during boot.

Note: Remember to enable BIOS backflash in BIOS Setup menu to be able to recover from being stuck out of BIOS Setup.

What's DOS?
Message 9 of 9 (3,519 Views)

[ Edited ]

are you able to access ubuntu after executing the command which is given in second post

Top kudoed Authors