cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
madaniel
Paper Tape
Views: 7,633
Message 1 of 24

Lenovo G580 replacing wirelesscard not succesful - whitelist?

Hi there all,

Recently I got a Lenovo G580 (2189).

Because I need WiDi (wireless display) options I bought a Intel Centrino Advanced-N6230 wireless card. After installing this hardware an error showed up at the startup: error 1802 ... unauthorized etc etc. I did not know about Lenovo - Bios and whitelisting hardware.

Anyway this simple question remains. Which Intel Wirelesscard can I use with this laptop in order to work properly.

Cause I don't want to hack the bios

Cheers,

Marlon

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,585
Message 2 of 24

Re: Lenovo G580 replacing wirelesscard not succesful - whitelist?

Hello and welcome,

I'm more familiar with ThinkPads, so please double-check anything you read in this post...

The problem with the white list is that a wireless card has to have a Lenovo FRU number.  It isn't sufficient to be an Intel XYZ board, it has to be an XYZ with the firmware ( the PCI subsystem ID) modified for Lenovo.  Reputable vendors will list the FRU if the board will play nice with the white list.

Take a look at the hardware maintenance manual for the G580, page 102l.  It lists an Intel 6150NX with an FRU # of 20002543.

Lenovo G480, G485, G580, G585, G780 Hardware Maintenance Manual (English)

As I said, this isn't my field of expertise (if there is one...) but maybe this will at least get you started.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

madaniel
Paper Tape
Views: 7,561
Message 3 of 24

Hi!

Thank you for the quick reply... I will continue my search for the right Wirelesscard. Thx again.

Cheers,

Marlon

madaniel
Paper Tape
Views: 7,539
Message 4 of 24

A little bit confusing... can not find any FRU# 20002543 online... the only thing I can find is probably Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N + WiMAX 6150 to fit with the whitelisted bios. Does anyone knows it for shure?

THX!

Marlon

fosheezy05
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,628
Message 5 of 24

Not sure if if you found the right card as this thread is super old.  I have a G580 and instaled the wimax 6150 card with no issues.  I happen to have a spare if you'd like one.  It works on my Lenovo.

Fiveohfour
What's DOS?
Views: 6,587
Message 6 of 24

Hey fosheezy05, so you installed the WiMAX 6150 and are getting decent performance with it ? I'm looking at buying a G580 but want to be sure it has or supports everything I need it do it, or everything my father will need it to do actually.
So you are able to use Wi-Di / wi-fi display now that you put the 6150 card in place of the Lenovo? I know intel claims or makes it look le its only compatible with computers that come with the software pre-installed for Wi-Di and even computers that meet all theoretical hardware requirements but don't have the Wi-Di software and drives pre-installed aren't supported, but I'm sure that's to simplify the search of those either trying to determine if their setup is compatible or if a computer they want to purchase has the feature.

Anyway glad you successfully got the card installed without som e of the issues people had in the past, any info you can share would be appreciated and maybe I will wind up buying that extra one from you if I can find all the answers and the right deal on the i5 3rd gen. Based G580. Thanks
fosheezy05
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,507
Message 7 of 24

Fiveohfour -

Sorry for the late response, been very sick for the past two weeks.  I haven't bought a Widi receiver yet, but currently I can use the WiMAX 6150 card with no problems driver and softwarewise since it is one taken off a Lenovo laptop of the same G series.  The spare that I have is from Best Buy's online parts department.  For your information, I'm on a G580 with the i3 processor, model name 20157.  I downloaded the latest Widi drivers from Intel's website and used

a driver from Lenovo.  I'm going to order a Widi receiver this coming week, and I'll let you know if it works well with the card.  Anyways, if you're not in a hurry to get the card, I can send it to you midweek after I try everything out.  Just paypal me for the shipping - the card was very cheap.  

Dimka90
Paper Tape
Views: 6,496
Message 8 of 24

Do you have a link for where you bought the part? and how much can I get one for? I've been searching all over, no one seems to have idea what FRU is and if it is compatible with any systems

fosheezy05
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,481
Message 9 of 24

Hi -

Here's the card that I bought.  Intel 6150  HP and Lenovo share the same part number on this card. (20002543).  It is different from the regular non HP/Lenovo cards since it has a FRU that the is whitelisted.

I'll send you screenshots on Tuesday after the receiver arrives, so you can get an idea of its wireless display features.

Fiveohfour
What's DOS?
Views: 6,467
Message 10 of 24

Thanks man no worries, believe me I understand, I am 26 and disabled living back w/ my parents one of whom is disabled too (genetic), so I spend all day every day sick or in pain at least, you won't find me telling anyone to suck it up. Anyway yea based on your previous post I was confident the wireless card would work in all the traditional ways since its of the right batch- no reason to be rejected I just wasn't sure how the WiDi or Miracast (included in widi spec as of version 3.5) would work as there isn't much out there on the tech and they seem to claim you need to have a system that shipped with the WiDi software. Normally I would read right over that and say with a compatible card the software can be added no problem but with all this hinky windows 8 and uefi bios action lately and white lists and all I just don't know what they could've potentially done to make a simple Mod hell, it can be made to work no doubt just a matter of how much effort they've put into making it a pita for us.
LG TVs have more models with WiDi built in now than not so that's cool and there's many options but I think the best and cheapest is the Push2Tv3000 by Netgear , search around but usually newegg has it on sale around 50 bucks.
I'm not in a big hurry I don't have the laptop yet I want to be sure I get a model with WiDi and Miracast support or the ability to put the support in it, my dad would really like a laptop as the HP tochpad I got him a while back is so limited but it would help both of us greatly in using it to not need to use the hdmi port, some days I can't get out of bed at all and it would be nice to still have access to watch VOD from a PC.
Yea that would be great there's no rush when you do figure out hat it works hopefully we can touch base and I'll shoot you the money for whatever you paid and the shipping. I'll let you know If I see a real good sale beyond the usual as I see prices change.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors